AquaUltraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15 watt

keven r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a

AquaUltraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15 watt with a Syncra Silent 1.0 Pump and wanted to know if I need more a bigger pump for a 55 gallon tank​

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @keven r but I don't think this is going to work just based on the fact this is one of the smaller pumps. Depending on where your sump, pipes and return are, you'll likely need at least the 3.0 or greater. Generally speaking, you'll want to consider what you are wanting to achieve first. Is this for algae control or pests? Is this the only return pump or is this one just for UV?

OP
OP
K

keven r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @keven r but I don't think this is going to work just based on the fact this is one of the smaller pumps. Depending on where your sump, pipes and return are, you'll likely need at least the 3.0 or greater. Generally speaking, you'll want to consider what you are wanting to achieve first. Is this for algae control or pests? Is this the only return pump or is this one just for UV?
I’ll like to control some Dino first and then have it for pests

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Well a longer dwell time or slower flow would be appropriate, however the pump is not the only thing to consider but rather the length of the return, how many turns are in the arrangement (including the UV) and the diameter of the pipes or tubing to the return.

It's generally recommended to go from sump > UV > display but some attempt to recycle the in last stage of the sump alone. Would you have any images or pictures to share?

OP
OP
K

keven r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Well a longer dwell time or slower flow would be appropriate, however the pump is not the only thing to consider but rather the length of the return, how many turns are in the arrangement (including the UV) and the diameter of the pipes or tubing to the return.

It's generally recommended to go from sump > UV > display but some attempt to recycle the in last stage of the sump alone. Would you have any images or pictures to share?
I have the pump we’re the reefermat is at and the other tubing is we’re the return pump for my main display is at

Attachments

• 87B9DA7C-BA8C-4CBA-B58C-A5FAB848589D.jpeg
    87B9DA7C-BA8C-4CBA-B58C-A5FAB848589D.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 41

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in this case the pump probably could work but is not going to be very effective at pathogen reduction, since some of these live in the water column and are loose in the return, not just the sump.

Here's what I did with mine (excuse the wiring mess, haven't really had time to clean that up more). I'll clean it up maybe next week when I redo the sump for the ReefMat 500 I bought last year. Mine uses a Sicce 3.0 and is direct to the UV and then into the return. There are no other bends and the run of tubing is minimal. According to my Apex flow sensor on it, this design runs around 320gph and is ideal for pest control but not algae. See the UV document that I have included.

IMG_1506.jpg
Aqua-UV-Saltwater-Sizing-Chart.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keven r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I don’t really
Well, in this case. The pump probably could work but is not going to be very effective at pest reduction, since some of these live in the water column and are loose in the return, not just the sump.

Here's what I did with mine (excuse the wiring mess, haven't really had time to clean that up more). I'll clean it up maybe next week when I redo the sump for the ReefMat 500 I bought last year. Mine uses a Sicce 3.0 and is direct to the UV and then into the return. There are no other bends and the run of tubing is minimal. According to my Apex flow sensor on it, this design runs around 320gph and is ideal for pest control but not algae. See the UV document that I have included.

IMG_1506.jpg
sorry but i don’t really understand your chart

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the chart is provided by AquaUV or Aqua Ultraviolet for your model, including mine. Those are the speeds and UV dosage levels for each speed and model shown on each row. If you want to control algae, then you'll want lower numbers and more turnover or GPH. If you are targeting parasites such as ich, you'll want to aim for higher doses or slower speeds to the right.

With your current chosen pump and routing, you're too far to the right and IMHO, are not getting very effective control as the UV returns to the same area you are removing from. It's not Sump > UV > Sump. Your UV should go Sump > UV > Display for best results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keven r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the chart is provided by AquaUV or Aqua Ultraviolet for your model, including mine. Those are the speeds and UV dosage levels for each speed and model shown on each row. If you want to control algae, then you'll want lower numbers and more turnover or GPH. If you are targeting parasites such as ich, you'll want to aim for higher doses or slower speeds to the right.

With your current chosen pump and routing, you're too far to the right and IMHO, are not getting very effective control as the UV returns to the same area you are removing from. It's not Sump > UV > Sump. Your UV should go Sump > UV > Display for best results.
Ok thanks for the help
I think I’m going to buy the 3.0 and then tune it down a bit for my algae and when that taken care of I’ll tune it up for any pest.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I don't think you will be able to get the AC version of this pump that slow but maybe. If you want to be sure, try the DC version like the SDC 3.0, which has full range of speeds.

OP
OP
K

keven r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I don't think you will be able to get the AC version of this pump that slow but maybe. If you want to be sure, try the DC version like the SDC 3.0, which has full range of speeds.
Oh ok thanks for the help I really appreciate

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back