Aqueon 40 gallon breeder drillable

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

This is my first post. I’ve been trying to do some research and doing a lot of reading, and I recently stepped out and had a Aqueon 40 gallon breeder ordered from my local fish store. I’ve continued to read and research and I need to decide if I want to drill it or not. I’ve tried to research the forum, and from what I can tell, Aqueon has been using both tempered and non-tempered glass in the construction of their aquariums in recent years. I’ve been reading a couple of different things concerning this: 1) There is a test that can be performed using a pair of polarized glasses and a computer screen that can help determine if the glass is tempered or not, and 2) Aqueon should put a sticker on the bottom letting you know if the tank is tempered. So, I understand the testing part, but I went out today to a fish store that sold Aqueon tanks. I noted that they had a couple of 55s that’s had a sticker that said not to drill, but there was a 20 and a 29 that lacked this sticker. So, my question is, in the year 2021, is the sticker a genuinely good indicator as to whether the tank can be drilled or not? I know I should test it anyway, but I’m just curious. The tank should arrive next week, but to be honest, I’m just trying to figure out how I can be as sure as possible to lessen the chances of me breaking the tank.
Thanks in advance for any info

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as Aqueon 40 breeder tanks I am pretty certain they are not tempered. I just did one last year. I don’t think anything has changed. I believe to only tempered portion is the bottom pane. All others are safe to drill. I believe it may be posted on their website

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not consistent for all tanks. I would be sure to always check the panel of glass you plan to drill. I learned the expensive mistake and drilled a 75 gallon aqueon tank without checking. I drilled the back panel and it shattered not the bottom.

Mrmiles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cracked one and was successful with another but it's not tempered, just cheap thin glass. Go slow and gentle drilling

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes like he said. Let the drill do the work. You can always call them to confirm

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and #WelcometoR2R

Sounds like you know about the glass test and usually just the bottom is tempered. I would not trust stickers. There have been instances where sides were tempered. People think they either ran out of the correct glass or used wrong glass. It is not the glass is thin, it is just the minimum need for the amount of pressure.

Drill slow, let the drill do work and plenty of water. If it does break they can usually be purchased on sale for $1 a gallon at Petco If in your area. I actually just picked up a 10 gallon for 7$ at pet supplies plus on sale and with coupon.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've drilled 2 if them, one on the back and one on the side. As stated above I believe the bottom is tempered, so if drilling for an overflow you are fine

OP
OP
D

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I figure I’ll rely on the sunglasses test. The guy at the fish store told me that I should be ok, but apparently that test is the way to go to be certain. I’ve never had a reef tank, but apparently drilling is the way to go.

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled 3 in the past 2 months on the back pane. I cracked the first one using a hand drill on the second hole. Had just a little too much pressure. I had no problems with the other 2 using a drill press. Like you I read that there is no guarantee on what type of glass they used so I did the test to be sure first. Good luck

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've drilled a ten and a 15 gallon. Both are pretty thin Glass. Like everyone said go slow and you'll be surprised how easy it is. I only used water from a spray bottle and noticed very little heat build up. The water mainly help removed the dust from the new hole. I used a battery powered hand drill. The 15 was half filled when I drilled it and had been running for around a year and a half.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this may seem obvious ,but Just make sure when you drill it, place something in the tank and tape the area on the inside to prevent the piece from falling and cracking the other pane of glass

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced a Aqueon 40 breeder that broke. I smashed what was left of it to get it to fit in the trash can better and none of it was tempered glass.

OP
OP
D

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I guess I was feeling anxious because I’ve been testing the sunglasses test for the last day or two on various pieces of glass. I couldn’t get it to work, UNTIL last night when I tried without the screen protector on my phone. Then it started working. I nerded out big time and was trying it in everything.

Vincenc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled about 4- 40 gal. On back no problem
If you seach google for aqueon critical dimensions it will show what tanks are tempered

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I drilled 6 x 40 breeders both bottom and side without any issues.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back