Aqueon MegaFlow 75 gallon reef-ready plumbing question

attml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a a 75 gallon Aquaeon Reef Ready tank and am in the process of building a stand and pluming my sump. The tank came with the MegaFlow overflow accessory kit that has two non-standard bulkheads which are basically worthless if you want to plumb the tank with PVC instead of flexible tubing using the bulheads provided in their kit (see picture 1). To compound the problem Aqueon drilled both holes inside if the overflow larger than 1 1/2 inches so a standard 3/4 inch bulhead will almost fall right through? You can see the comparison of the size of the lip between a standard 3/4 inch bulkhead and a 1 inch bulkhead in picture 2 below. The 3/4 is to small for the hole drilled in the overflow. Why they would drill both holes that big when the return is supposed to accommodate a 1 inch plumbing and the pump line is supposed to accommodate a 3/4 inch plumbing line is beyond me? My question is this, is there a 3/4 inch slip bulkhead out there that has has a head / lip the same size as standard 1 inch slip bulkhead ? Or am I going to have to use a standard 1 inch bulkhead and reduce it to 3/4 on both ends of the bulkhead which is a pain the butt and makes it look like crap when you are trying to do a pretty plumbing job on your sump. Thank you very much!

Bulkheads 1.jpg Bulkheads 2.jpg Bulkheads 3.jpg

plack44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do make PVC reducer bushings, they may fit in the entrance to the bulkhead.
But why would you do that on a drain you want those bigger?
Not sure I’m following correctly.
2 Bulkheads what at the bottom of the tank one for a drain and one for a return?
It is normal for the drain to be larger than the pump return.
Maybe you could saw off the funnel at the end and glue pvc into it? Your probably aware other places will sell various Bulkheads and different mfg’s make them for different hole sizes. So maybe you just gotta order the stuff you need online as what they sent may not work.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hayward makes a 3/4" SCH80 slipxslip that will fit a 41mm hole. Standard 1" ABS is 42mm.

If I may though, what's wrong with a 1" return?

Additionally, for a 75 gal, I would strongly consider an over the top return and using both holes for drainage. Depends on your tolerance for noise, but a 1" non-siphon drain doesn't move very much water quietly.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hayward makes a 3/4" SCH80 slipxslip that will fit a 41mm hole. Standard 1" ABS is 42mm.

If I may though, what's wrong with a 1" return?

Additionally, for a 75 gal, I would strongly consider an over the top return and using both holes for drainage. Depends on your tolerance for noise, but a 1" non-siphon drain doesn't move very much water quietly.
Also doesn't drain nearly as fast as a full siphon...

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, just depends how much water the OP wants to move, noise tolerance, etc. I like over the top returns, but they're ugly to some. Lots of options.

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in this same situation now.. did you find any resolution? I was just going to get a 3/4” slip/slip bulkhead for the return line and a 1” slip/slip bulkhead for the drainline..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back