First Time Plumbing Advice

Just a mock again but I’m going to run this 90 to soft plumb the pump, I’m worried about vibration since I can’t clamp the return section to the stand 😳



IMG_0922.jpeg
It looks like your pump’s outlet fitting has a maximum tubing (inside) diameter of 1”, so I’d recommend sticking with that!

(Note the grooves after each step in the pump’s barbed outlet fitting; the fitting is designed to be cut along these grooves to omit the unused smaller diameter barbed fitting segment(s) which would otherwise restrict flow!)

— the general consensus for tubing would be to use silicone, 1” inside diameter in your case! (Probably 1/8” wall thickness, thus 1-1/4” outside diameter)… this isn’t cheap, but you’ll only need 12” of it!

to adapt from tubing to rigid PVC pipe:

— you’ll probably want a union, this can go before, or after the pictured elbow…

— a 1” barb X 1” slip, or 1” barb X 1” NPT “adapter fitting” is the part you’re looking for!

— these adapter fittings come in various permutations, you may even be able to find one which combines the pictured elbow into a barbed adapter fitting!


https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/90-elbow-barb-x-spigot-street.html

(Using the above adapter as an example, you could stick the 1” pipe diameter ”spigot” side of this adapter fitting directly into the “socket” of a union, allowing you to quick disconnect/reconnect your return pump, make that 90 degree bend, and adapt to tubing all in two parts!)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new