memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! Following along =)

Thanks! It's been a ton of work and a LOT of research but also has been fun and rewarding. I know patience will be paramount in this hobby but I'm anxious to get the tank up and running as well lol.

RIreefGuy

Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm slacking hard. I started a build thread for my 3.4 g nano which is doing great but long overdue for an update. Then I found a IM fusion 20 for sale by a member of one of the local clubs. Tank, skimmer, rock, fish, coral etc for $160. Was up and running for over a year. I obviously couldnt pass that up lol. I need to update the 3.4 and create a thread for the 20. I'm also thinking about what's next and have my eye on the sca-50 or larger =)

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm slacking hard. I started a build thread for my 3.4 g nano which is doing great but long overdue for an update. Then I found a IM fusion 20 for sale by a member of one of the local clubs. Tank, skimmer, rock, fish, coral etc for $160. Was up and running for over a year. I obviously couldnt pass that up lol. I need to update the 3.4 and create a thread for the 20. I'm also thinking about what's next and have my eye on the sca-50 or larger =)

Can't go wrong with going larger! I'm too scared to do a pico tank. The parameter swings seem like they can be brutal.

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming with some more updates!

I finished my aquascape and settled on the best I could do with the rocks I had. I did find out that the rocks are not colored all the way through so breaking them apart really wasn’t an option. I will say this Reef Weld product is some magical stuff. Works amazing.

5E06FD31-F07D-43E7-A70D-39FC44E8A5B1.jpeg

109660F0-1768-48DB-A533-542F671D240B.jpeg

C3F1ADE4-4DA3-45AF-9A64-03A5EDBB4E7D.jpeg

16250225-5F1A-43F8-9E7A-24B2C97F6D57.jpeg

I set up the quarantine tank as well. Pretty simple and a seems like a necessity imo. Wonder how long the wife will let me keep it on the island. Lol.

91B4C70F-2212-46B5-942A-6A01CA87EE5C.jpeg

6A3A917F-9DF5-447A-A1F1-C11A898F7868.jpeg

Nothing to see here. Just washing live sando_O . “Why wash live sand?”, you may thinking. Well I knew I wanted to use Fiji Pink and all the LFS had was live Fiji Pink so I bought it knowing full well I was going to wash it as I would like to not get a dust storm every time the sand kicks up. I can grab a fist full of sand now and release and there isn’t a cloud in sight.

BD90D5EB-1D71-4F0E-83D1-EABF990D4EFA.jpeg

The tank finally got salty! Was apprehensive filling it up. Had no clue if the mj1200 pumps could pump the water the distance and height required but they performed beautifully. They are little beasts. The most exciting part is I will never carry a bucket for my water changes!

67CAA8F6-2D37-4FCB-8F74-DC76A6025902.jpeg

7428C00B-61DD-4D09-B6F6-C7C15B88C174.jpeg

F4D14A18-0A25-4BB8-BA4F-59CEE505AC76.jpeg

738E43CB-B1B2-43B3-B38F-17E02823CAEF.jpeg

A0C15CC1-8F96-48BF-8575-784CAF0D7CF5.jpeg

Got the DT and QT cycling now with Turbostart 900 so this week I will be going to pick out the first few fish to add.

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to cycle a tank in 3 days? I used Turbostart 900 and Dr. Tim’s Ammonium Chloride. I dosed the ammonia to 2ppm 3 days ago and then checked my parameters last night and ammonia is at 0, Nitrites are at 0, and nitrates are at 50ppm. I’m confused. I expected to see Nitrites spike and then go back to 0 before seeing Nitrates build up. It’s like the Ammonia went straight to Nitrates.

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it’s seems to be a monster product. I guess my question is why doesn’t everyone use it if it’s so good?

I used it on two dead-rock builds and it worked as advertised. I never saw a lick of ammonia.
My latest build is with TBS live rock, and I did see a bit of ammonia but a single water change & it's all gone now - I kind of think a bit of the TurboStart would have kept even that small .5ppt of ammonia from ever showing up.

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it on two dead-rock builds and it worked as advertised. I never saw a lick of ammonia.
My latest build is with TBS live rock, and I did see a bit of ammonia but a single water change & it's all gone now - I kind of think a bit of the TurboStart would have kept even that small .5ppt of ammonia from ever showing up.

Have you ever used it in a quarantine tank? The only surface area are the pvc pipes and the sponge. I didn’t expect it to cycle that quickly

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing much going on with the DT tank so far. It’s still in the same state I left it as I’m still going through quarantine with my fish. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong but they have had ich for almost 3 weeks since day 3 of the quarantine. I am using copper power and my Hanna checker has confirmed they have been at 2.0 ppm every day of quarantine. They just can’t shake it. They are supposed to be done with quarantine on June 7 but all fish are covered in ich. I’m gonna try hyposalinity June 7th if they still have ich on that date and go from there but as of now they won’t be going in my display tank. :(

JFLU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing much going on with the DT tank so far. It’s still in the same state I left it as I’m still going through quarantine with my fish. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong but they have had ich for almost 3 weeks since day 3 of the quarantine. I am using copper power and my Hanna checker has confirmed they have been at 2.0 ppm every day of quarantine. They just can’t shake it. They are supposed to be done with quarantine on June 7 but all fish are covered in ich. I’m gonna try hyposalinity June 7th if they still have ich on that date and go from there but as of now they won’t be going in my display tank. :(
What have you been feeding them.?

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you been feeding them.?
I am feeding them small pellet food. Everyone still eating very good so that hasn’t been an issue. In fact they have gained weight during quarantine

I def believe I will have to turn to hypo. I saw a YouTube video from fishhexaquatics. 4 weeks of copper did nothing for him. Only hypo was able to stop the ich.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back