Archemy's Waterbox 70.2 Reef Build

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this forum and also to reefs as this will be the first ever aquarium I have ever kept. Thought I would do my best to document as much as I can along the way. Look forward to the process as much as the end result and learning as much as I can on this journey. I actually woke up 3 weeks ago with the crazy notion in my head that I wanted to start a saltwater tank. I immediately found out that this would not be cheap, LOL. 3 weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about saltwater or keeping an aquarium but after hours and hours of youtube and lurking these forums, I may now know enough to get my feet wet.

First off, my equipment list. After much research I've decided to go with:

Aquarium
Waterbox Reef 70.2+ w/ stand

Lights
AI Hydra 26 HD

Lid
Clearview Lid Classic

Pumps
Ecotech Vectra S1
Ecotech MP40WQD

ATO
AutoAqua Smart AWC Touch

Heater
Finnex 500W Titanium Heater TH-0500S
Finnex Digital Temperature Controller HC-0810M

Protein Skimmer
Nyos Quantum 120

Reactors
Bulk Reef Supply GFO/Carbon Reactor Deluxe

RO/DI
Bulk Reef Supply 100GPD 4 Stage Plus

Salt
HW-Marinemix

Rock
40lbs apurplereef.com man made live rock

Sand
60lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink

Testing
Red Sea Marine Care Multi Test Kit

Misc
Bulk Reef Supply High Capacity GFO
Bulk Reef Supply Rox 0.8 Carbon
Cobalt MJ-1200 Pump
Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride
Fritz Turbostart 900
BSI Insta Cure Cyanoacrylate Gel
Oceans Wonder Purple Reef Epoxy
BSI Super Glue Accelerator
Refractometer
Magfloat scraper
Various plumbing fittings

Last edited:
OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank from Waterbox was ordered on 3/20/19 and arrived by freight on 3/26/19. I was given a delivery time of 8am-12pm so I took the day off from work to receive it. Was hoping to sleep in but the driver called at 7:30am stating he was 20 minutes away ;Dead. I must have been the first stop of the day.

I wanted to get it inside to inspect it, but my wife nor my neighbors were not home to help and my dog sure wasn't going to help, so I made up my mind to carry it in alone (the excitement got to me). I'm 6'2" 185 so not a big guy and I got to say this was not one of the smartest decisions I have made. I got it in safely, but man was it nerve racking.

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

Everything looked good after inspection so I started to put it together. I got to say, Waterbox's instructions are some of the worst I've seen. Pretty much had to chuck them and go at it on my own. Luckily I've put together quite a few Ikea furniture and the premise here is pretty much the same. Went smoothly. Also would of been good to know that Waterbox made some changes and the new 2019 white cabinets are black on the inside. I actually prefer it this way but I can see others getting mad about this if they were expecting an all white cabinet inside and out.

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Panicked when I realized I was missing the lights that should come with the tank but Waterbox customer service informed me that those would be coming seperate. Not really a big deal since I won't really need them for weeks.

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself drawn to Bulk Reef Supply mostly because the guy on their youtube videos seems to know his stuff and has a calming voice, lol. I've pretty much ordered all my equipment from BRS and almost all of it came in a few days ago. Laid it all out to inventory and make sure I had everything I ordered.

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

The return line of the tank has a T fitting for running a manifold so decided I would try my hand at creating a line off of it for the reactors. I have never plumbed anything in my life but after doing some cutting and dry fitting. I think it came out ok.My dog doesn't seem very impressed though.

IMG_1007.jpg

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elephant in the room for me was always going to be water changes and the easiest way possible to get them done. The tank in the living room sits directly above my cold water line and sump closet in the basement, so my original plan was to drill though the floor and run hoses directly to my sump for tank waste water and tap my ro/di unit in there as well but I couldn't muster up the courage to drill the floor so I went with plan B, which was to get two large storage tanks and put them my mudroom. Got two 35 gallon tanks ordered and they arrived at my door in one day. Set them up in my mudroom next to the dog wash as to be able to easily fill them and mix saltwater. They fit in there nicely and aren't too distracting. The best thing is that my mudroom is only a few steps from the tank in the living room so no long hauls of water or going up and down steps.

IMG_1016.jpg

Will use the cobalt pump in the saltwater tank to help mix it. Still need to find a cheap heater to keep in there as well.

IMG_1017.jpg

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is starting to come together but in desperate need of some wire management. The goal will be to have no visible wires on the outside of the tank which I think is totally achievable when mounting the MP40 to the back glass. Will work on that later as I'm still waiting on some equipment to arrive.

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks from apurplereef came in today and they look awesome. Less than 24 hrs from when I ordered to my doorstep. Very pleased with the quality of their rocks and the service.

F46EB63F-60F7-47BD-BF9D-511F70AE6953.jpeg

Couldn’t resist putting one in the tank to see how it looks under the lights.

990061BA-16B4-4A0D-B388-337999F333B7.jpeg

Took them down to my basement and started to throw some pieces around to see if I could find an aquascape I like. Minimalist is how I will do my tank.

18C185FA-C83C-448D-AC9E-23134E97CE0B.jpeg

0C19D6D6-DB13-4FBD-A4A8-BCCA18733A9C.jpeg

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to put the aquascape on hold. I only have Oceans Wonder epoxy on hand and it just isn’t making the rocks as stable as I want them to create the scape that I want. Heard good things about Aquamaxx Reef Weld, so I ordered that earlier today. Hopefully it comes in soon so I can finish the scape and get this tank going.

In other news my skimmer arrived today. Am I reefing yet? :D

B9914310-3631-46E8-9209-EEB7BCA0A5F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Algaewarrior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to put the aquascape on hold. I only have Oceans Wonder epoxy on hand and it just isn’t making the rocks as stable as I want them to create the scape that I want. Heard good things about Aquamaxx Reef Weld, so I ordered that earlier today. Hopefully it comes in soon so I can finish the scape and get this tank going.

In other news my skimmer arrived today. Am I reefing yet? :D

B9914310-3631-46E8-9209-EEB7BCA0A5F5.jpeg
That is the skimmer I want for my dream tank. Cant wait to see how it works out for you.

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished all the wiring and plumbing today. Tried my best to organize all the wires but man was it a lot! If I had a separate equipment space in the stand I could do a better job but for now I’m satisfied. Only thing left now is to finish my aquascape and make my water then the tank gets wet!

1CA4D173-2BB2-418F-BE93-ADFA90953C25.jpeg

51D1209E-58FC-45E2-8C02-A8EAD69A84E8.jpeg

9C100FAD-81FD-4296-819A-D5623B8FC0B4.jpeg

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion would be to run RODI through the tank first, to leak test & make sure your equipment works. It's a lot nicer to fix stuff with fresh water running around, than salt water. Then you can turn your heater on and just mix the salt in the tank, using your tank's infrastructure.

I always put salt water in first, another hobbyist made this suggestion to me; it had never occurred to me before. Anyway, it's an option.

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more suggestion (I run a WB 75.2)... you can replace the 4" socks with cups. I run poly-fil from Wally World in my cups, and I just throw it away every couple days when I replace it. It's much nicer than washing socks. I also can put carbon or GFO in media bags in the cups - lets me get around the reactors & pumps.

I 3D printed my cups using PETG filament. It's a breeze to model & print. You can also buy them from a bunch of places.

edit: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2905077
an example

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion would be to run RODI through the tank first, to leak test & make sure your equipment works. It's a lot nicer to fix stuff with fresh water running around, than salt water. Then you can turn your heater on and just mix the salt in the tank, using your tank's infrastructure.

I always put salt water in first, another hobbyist made this suggestion to me; it had never occurred to me before. Anyway, it's an option.

Hmm that’s interesting but makes a lot of sense. I think I’m going to go this route.

OP
OP
memphissfinest

memphissfinest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting for the reef weld to come in so that I can finish my aquascape, I figured it would be in my best interests to buy and set up a quarantine tank. Went to Petsmart and got a tank/accessories for pretty cheap.

One day shipping with Amazon Prime was also clutch for the medications.
F4688E51-C704-4DE8-8935-C3FFC146B688.jpeg

Still making Ro/di water...I think I’m gonna need a booster pump..
0F531BC0-CB14-4BCC-87D5-69FDD6F6B6ED.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back