Are 3 AI Prime HDs enough for 48" 80 gal tank?

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to pull the trigger on purchasing 3 AI Prime HDs for my 80 gallong 48 inch tank. My LFS recommended 3, but with an eye to getting multiple opinions I thought I would check in with the crowd here. I have read countless articles and forum posts, but finally giving up and posting a question for my specific application. I don't have grand illusions of growing some sort of fancy show tank. While having a 14g bio cube saltwater set up for the last 7 years, I am new to the 80 gallon space and am looking for a "basic" set up for my family room that will grow primarily inexpensive softies.

My main questions is, will 3 be enough? Should I be considering the hydra 26s? One of the selling points for me is the ability to upload lighting parameters from my LFS or or others given my lack of experience in the space. Are people finding this feature beneficial? Or should I be considering a less expensive solution.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to pull the trigger on purchasing 3 AI Prime HDs for my 80 gallong 48 inch tank. My LFS recommended 3, but with an eye to getting multiple opinions I thought I would check in with the crowd here. I have read countless articles and forum posts, but finally giving up and posting a question for my specific application. I don't have grand illusions of growing some sort of fancy show tank. While having a 14g bio cube saltwater set up for the last 7 years, I am new to the 80 gallon space and am looking for a "basic" set up for my family room that will grow primarily inexpensive softies.

My main questions is, will 3 be enough? Should I be considering the hydra 26s? One of the selling points for me is the ability to upload lighting parameters from my LFS or or others given my lack of experience in the space. Are people finding this feature beneficial? Or should I be considering a less expensive solution.

For a softy and or LPS tank yes they will be enough. I had 2 prime HD's over a 40 breeder turned up to 80% and i had LPS and SPS on the higher rock work. My par measured from 110-265 in highest spots. Worst case you can always add a 4th if you for some reason need it. What does you rock work look like? Using the primes you can space the lights out more evenly. If you wanted to grow SPS then i'd say two hydras.

OP
OP
R

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't set the rock up yet. Thinking about going with 3 separate sections, but I don't know yet. I need to look at some pictures.

OA3B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a softy and or LPS tank yes they will be enough. I had 2 prime HD's over a 40 breeder turned up to 80% and i had LPS and SPS on the higher rock work. My par measured from 110-265 in highest spots. Worst case you can always add a 4th if you for some reason need it. What does you rock work look like? Using the primes you can space the lights out more evenly. If you wanted to grow SPS then i'd say two hydras.

Could you show us the values per channel on your primes and your photo period. I have them also but I have been thinking of getting one or two more over my 90 gallon mix mostly lps at the moment

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will your tank have any cross bracing? For example, a standard 75 or 90 gallon tank has a thick center brace. In those cases, I would say go with two hydra 26's, versus 3 prime fixtures.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should be good. That's also something I liked about the AI Primes, if it wasn't putting out enough light you could just add another one. I had to switch to Kessil because I was playing with the app too much, but that's another topic.

As for your question about downloading/uploading lighting schedules, the answer is yes. You can email WWC and they'll give you their schedule, there are countless threads online with hundreds of schedules. The only thing you have to do is find what you like and stick to it.

This should tell you what you need to know about lighting capabilities:

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you show us the values per channel on your primes and your photo period. I have them also but I have been thinking of getting one or two more over my 90 gallon mix mostly lps at the moment
I "had" them this setup, was on a previous tank. But I used ecotechs AB+ schedule but tuned it a bit differently for a bluer look and used my par meter for par settings. BRS has a video for the ecotech schedule tuned for the AI Primes, check their youtube channel for it. It's a great starting point.

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4 AI HD Primes on my 75 Gallon Tank. They appear to grow most everything.
532419db0f19b08e2feb89eeb0b845de.jpg
2616cb1e674d69274f78133c327f5bf3.jpg

OP
OP
R

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will your tank have any cross bracing? For example, a standard 75 or 90 gallon tank has a thick center brace. In those cases, I would say go with two hydra 26's, versus 3 prime fixtures.

Nice call out! Yes there is a single brace in the middle and it is significant. I am now wondering if that will cast a shadow right over the middle of the tank if I have 3 of the prime HDs. Would 2 hydras give more/better/less shadowing than 3 Primes? This was a consideration originally, but I thought 3 Primes would be better than 2 Hydras and less expensive. Maybe the comparison should be 4 primes or 2 hydras in which case the 4 primes would be more money and thus tilting the scale to the 2 Hydras?

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the 2 hydras. The center brace won't allow for 3 evenly spaced so its either you go with 2 hydras or 2 or 4 primes. I would go with the 2 hydras as they will create less shadowing than the primes.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 75 gal using two ai primes. 48 inches long and mainly have lps in there. Will he going with a 72 inch tank soon 125 or 150 and will try 3 ai primes. 26 hd. If not happy then will add a 4th one. I dont even have my lights at 25 percent happy with it looks and getting growth. But also sun light fills the room. So I feel I don't need to turn them up to high.

beamer281

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice call out! Yes there is a single brace in the middle and it is significant. I am now wondering if that will cast a shadow right over the middle of the tank if I have 3 of the prime HDs. Would 2 hydras give more/better/less shadowing than 3 Primes? This was a consideration originally, but I thought 3 Primes would be better than 2 Hydras and less expensive. Maybe the comparison should be 4 primes or 2 hydras in which case the 4 primes would be more money and thus tilting the scale to the 2 Hydras?
I just added 3 primes

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back