Are all angels jerks?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only experience I have with angelfish is a bi-color angel that I had to re-home years ago. I had him for a few years then he became a bully and started picking on the other fish regardless of their size.

I see people post all the time that their angels like to pick on the other fish. Are they all like that? Are there certain species that are more docile than others?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The only experience I have with angelfish is a bi-color angel that I had to re-home years ago. I had him for a few years then he became a bully and started picking on the other fish regardless of their size.

I see people post all the time that their angels like to pick on the other fish. Are they all like that? Are there certain species that are more docile than others?
I have potters, flame and coral beauty and while flame and coral squabble here and there. . they bother nothing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had queen, emperor, potters, majestic, and flames. Flames are by far the biggest jerks.

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Coral Beauty for 6 years and it has not gone after or picked on other fish in my tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame, Multibar, Potters, Coral Beauty are the ones I have had or have. They are all kind of jerks.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I had an emperor angel. Best fish in the world. But he grew so fast, needed a new home. That was the day I wished I had a 280g tank. Still don't have a 280. Dont have the space. I dont want to live in the basement.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame used to chase my coral beauty, and my majestic chased both. I unfortunately lost my dwarf angels (don’t trust LFS QT) but now I have my Majestic with a sailfin, purple tang, blue tang and a Fox face. Majestic is the BOSS but peaceful. Bud blue tang likes to circle the majestic and stir him up so always has circular holes in his fins, they have a comical relationship!

My advice is to add fish that can ‘handle’ a large angel, like tangs and large wrasses. But in saying that I have a few small fish that don’t get bothered so I’d say don’t add another angelfish is the main thing.

Tank is 6x2x2

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of tank and food source is everything. If you have a large tank and plenty of food, they don't bother anything. If cramped, the pygmy angels are the worst.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a potters angelfish and hated it .
he was the biggest bully and a hole towards every other fish .
Currently have an juv emperor . He’s the boss of the tank

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lamarck angel has been great in my tank. No fights with anything, but definitely confident and out and about.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had coral beauty in the past, it didnt bother anything other than the occasional squabble, and currently have a flame angel that is a model citizen.

Back