are all brutes created equal

epsteino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it has worked for me for many years. Not even sure I smell it anymore honestly. But I know the smell.

How long the mixed water stays "good" seems to vary by salt brand. I use IO reef crystals and it is good for 3-4 weeks easily. In a sealed bucket, even longer. Red Sea recommends using it within days which seems absurd. Others vary. There is a BRS video on the subject you can check out.
Very good. Thank you. I am considering changing my salt mix from red sea. seems like a common denominator in the smell. Once I get my new set up going, I'll make sure I set it up so I won't need to store salt water anymore. I'll just mix it and use it right away.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good. Thank you. I am considering changing my salt mix from red sea. seems like a common denominator in the smell. Once I get my new set up going, I'll make sure I set it up so I won't need to store salt water anymore. I'll just mix it and use it right away.
It somehow stuck in my head that I wrote "not even sure I smell it anymore". So I just went down to my mix that has been running since last weekend. No smell. Even the film is not as slimy. I have not washed the brute in several months. I cannot recall when I last smelled it, but I remember the smell. Body odor. Since the beginning, so +10 years ago.

We are on well water. A couple years ago, we had some well work done. Well guy said we should be testing the water in our area. I sent in a sample to town govt and tested positive for coliform bacteria. The house RO system and my tank water RODI can't do anything about bacteria. I had a whole house UV installed. I never remember an Aha! moment of no more smell. But it has been gone since the UV.

Again, I never had any problems using that water for nearly a decade, nor did my family ever suffer related symptoms, but food for thought. I think it cost me $20 bucks to get the test. (But $1,500 for the UV!)

epsteino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It somehow stuck in my head that I wrote "not even sure I smell it anymore". So I just went down to my mix that has been running since last weekend. No smell. Even the film is not as slimy. I have not washed the brute in several months. I cannot recall when I last smelled it, but I remember the smell. Body odor. Since the beginning, so +10 years ago.

We are on well water. A couple years ago, we had some well work done. Well guy said we should be testing the water in our area. I sent in a sample to town govt and tested positive for coliform bacteria. The house RO system and my tank water RODI can't do anything about bacteria. I had a whole house UV installed. I never remember an Aha! moment of no more smell. But it has been gone since the UV.

Again, I never had any problems using that water for nearly a decade, nor did my family ever suffer related symptoms, but food for thought. I think it cost me $20 bucks to get the test. (But $1,500 for the UV!)
Wow. Interesting. I am actually having my water and RODI checked by an ICP test right now. for different reasons though. thanks for the replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back