Are all pH calibration solutions created equal? Calibrating my alkatronic pH probe.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, so this is probably a stupid question, but does it matter where I get my calibration solution for calibrating my alkatronic's pH probe? Do I need to get the stuff specifically put out for that unit, or will pH calibration solution I find on Amazon be adequate?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so this is probably a stupid question, but does it matter where I get my calibration solution for calibrating my alkatronic's pH probe? Do I need to get the stuff specifically put out for that unit, or will pH calibration solution I find on Amazon be adequate?
I think the individual packs are better than the multi use bottles but I have never had a bad “brand”.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some meters require certain pH values for calibration, so as long as you match those pH values, brand is unimportant.

Some meters allow any pH values for calibration, and in that case, you can use anything that spans the range of interest.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The alkatronic calls for 7 and 4, so as long as I get those, I'm good, right?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pay attention to the expiry dates and use fresh packets. I might have had a problem with this once...

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also packets of dry powder or tablets that you mix with anywhere from 20-250 mL of distilled/RO/DI water. They generally have a longer shelf life, are cheaper, and take up much less space.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back