Are anemones big phosphates and nitrates consumers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ardeus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2013
Messages
2,051
Reaction score
2,612
Location
Portugal
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an anemone dominated tank and I feed heavily and my nitrates and phosphates are always really low.

I remember reading somewhere that they are big consumers of phosphates. Have tou guys heard anything about this? What are your experiences?
 
Anemones are not filter feeders in the way that sponges, Tridacna Clams and Tunicates are, so no they do not consume nitrates and phosphates. They are producers of them however as a result of being giant waste producers. Moreover, elevated levels of phosphates and nitrates are detrimental to anemones.
 
My bta did terrible when my nitrates were over 40ppm. IME they do the best with low nitrates. Phosphates don't seem to benefit or harm them.
 
Anemones are not filter feeders in the way that sponges, Tridacna Clams and Tunicates are, so no they do not consume nitrates and phosphates. They are producers of them however as a result of being giant waste producers. Moreover, elevated levels of phosphates and nitrates are detrimental to anemones.

My nitrate and phosphates tests were old so I got new ones, because I was failing to get a reading above 0. I don't feed the anemones directly, they get whatever I feed the fish and I was looking for an explanation for the low levels of nutrients.

I was thinking that beyond eating, they could be absorbing phosphates and nitrates directly from the water as corals do.

There's around 30 BTA's give or take, a magnifica and various corals.
 
Don't anemones need nitrate and phosphate to keep a healthy amount of zooxanthellae?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new