Are blastos the new "in" lps?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot who it was, but one of my recent orders gave me one for free, the normal purplish red and green so i thought they were just trying to off load it, cool little coral, didn't even know what it was and i think thats why i finally ended up making an account on here lol. Had mine for a month or so now and 3 new heads already formed. Really love low light and no/low flow. Seems easy and a big reason people would like them(not to mention fast growing so they can resell) They have some really great colors but i never seem to see them for sale and only pictures so they must get picked up fast being so easy.

blasto.jpg
I got one of those for free from Aquasd back In may and it’s a pretty gnarly mini colony now. They look sweet all puffy.

F4D53BB2-264A-4C12-8F23-93A8A5C9A94A.jpeg 6DE3B80B-27B8-4E0D-B160-A387418C158D.png

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just picked up this berserker blasto from UC and I love it. Can’t wait till it fills in I have never seen a striped orange one before. I really enjoy active feeders like blastos and scoly and acans. LRS mixed with roids with some TDO pellets. They eat like pigs

3CC34EA0-B1C6-46B3-9DE1-AEB609F91AEF.jpeg

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one of those for free from Aquasd back In may and it’s a pretty gnarly mini colony now. They look sweet all puffy.

F4D53BB2-264A-4C12-8F23-93A8A5C9A94A.jpeg 6DE3B80B-27B8-4E0D-B160-A387418C158D.png

I think thats who i got mine from too. Could have been aqualocker... Aqua something lol. Mines so happy it normally covers the 3 smaller heads trying to form haha. I feed it like once a week, reef roids and some mysis/broken krill pieces. It loves the krill surprisingly and will eat large pieces of it, but fish always rip it out of its mouth if it does get a larger piece :mad:

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats who i got mine from too. Could have been aqualocker... Aqua something lol. Mines so happy it normally covers the 3 smaller heads trying to form haha. I feed it like once a week, reef roids and some mysis/broken krill pieces. It loves the krill surprisingly and will eat large pieces of it, but fish always rip it out of its mouth if it does get a larger piece :mad:
I take these small plastic “rocks” cups made some holes for flow and right after I feed place the cup over the blasto and scoly and keep it on overnight (I feed late at night). You might need to put something heavyish on the cup to keep it in place. My peppermint shrimp can’t touch it while they digest everything. I have had two nice corals die from shrimp ripping food from there mouths. It’s a little work and I do it once or twice a week but so worth it Especially with a 200 scoly and a 75 blasto.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is similar to mine. I purchased a fancier blasto from TSA’s reef2reef sale back in Spring, but they sent the ones pictured. They’re doing good though. All fluffy now.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I love feeding at late hours or if I'm ever up super early, all my LPS get to chew as slow as they want, chalice and favia especially.
I only feed at night(other then recently to get my ornate leopard wrasse to eat) since thats the only time my gonipora is closed so i can feed it reef roids, so i feed all the corals at the same time late at night. I have a couple "nocturnal" fish that are up at lights out. My Dusky wrasse, thing hunts i poop you not, 18 hours a day, the ornate leopard wrasse since its time is all wacky since its new, and my sailfin tang grazes all day/night. So they end up stealing food,especially when they smell the reef riods. I feel bad for the blasto when I see something rip food out of its poor little mouth ;Drowning LOL My mini maxis and rockflower don't put up with it though ;Punch

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only feed at night(other then recently to get my ornate leopard wrasse to eat) since thats the only time my gonipora is closed so i can feed it reef roids, so i feed all the corals at the same time late at night. I have a couple "nocturnal" fish that are up at lights out. My Dusky wrasse, thing hunts i poop you not, 18 hours a day, the ornate leopard wrasse since its time is all wacky since its new, and my sailfin tang grazes all day/night. So they end up stealing food,especially when they smell the reef riods. I feel bad for the blasto when I see something rip food out of its poor little mouth ;Drowning LOL My mini maxis and rockflower don't put up with it though ;Punch
You have a challenge for sure. Upside down tupperware container with small holes and no flow 10 min might be the only option , and that's IF you can cover it(blasto) without upsetting it first.

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best picture but easily one of the brightest corals in my tank. Got a single head from cherry corals s few years ago and now it's about as big as my fist with well over 100 heads. On top of it looking great and growing relatively quick for me it's been nearly indestructible. I've fragged it a few times, it's made moves, it's gone through power outages, etc... Awesome coral that everyone notices when they see my tank

MVIMG_20191102_111152.jpg MVIMG_20191106_085513.jpg

Last edited:

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. Unique Blasto colonies are incredible to see in person and sell very easy due to supply. Any Torch has the motion/movement that's more attractive to all where blasto's only get the attention they deserve when colonized. No chance Blasto's will make the top anytime soon. I've always believed the Elegance Coral, in particular rare strains are lurking in the back to challenge the torch for there top spot. You put an Elegance Coral in a dominant SPS tank, 9 out of 10 will look at the Elegance first.
The first coral anyone ever gets drawn to first is my elegance coral lol

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love blastos! I always liked the way they looked but now that I have one I'm really sold on them and am planning a blasto garden in a darker spot in my tank. I only has the basic kind right now in QT but I've only had it for a few weeks and in that time it continues to try and divide istself (came with 2 mouths) and has since added a new little head! I might pick up some LPS pellets at work today for it:)

I new the came in some crazy colours but I can't believe some of these!

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll see the prices of Indo Blastos continue to rise indefinitely. The very hot varieties usually grow slow in aquaculture.. I have a pretty legit blasto collection, and ive paid 1000/head for a couple of them.. no joke..

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll see the prices of Indo Blastos continue to rise indefinitely. The very hot varieties usually grow slow in aquaculture.. I have a pretty legit blasto collection, and ive paid 1000/head for a couple of them.. no joke..
Pictures or it didn't happen hahahaha

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have photos of all of them handy, but here are some bounce blastos, some panty droppers, and the real baller one which is the BSA Rainbow something or other that he sells for like $1000-2000PP depending on the polyp.. Mine has that grafted line thingy in the middle so it was pretty $$ but worth it.. If indo doesnt reopen youll never see it again.

blastos-7099.JPG blastos-7100.JPG blastos-7101.JPG Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.16.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.16.45 PM.png

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so. I love them and have standing orders in at LFS for unusual ones. To be fair though I have never had one die. They are by far the toughest corals. I just wish they came in more colors.

20191107_112007.jpg

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have photos of all of them handy, but here are some bounce blastos, some panty droppers, and the real baller one which is the BSA Rainbow something or other that he sells for like $1000-2000PP depending on the polyp.. Mine has that grafted line thingy in the middle so it was pretty $$ but worth it.. If indo doesnt reopen youll never see it again.

blastos-7099.JPG blastos-7100.JPG blastos-7101.JPG Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.16.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.16.45 PM.png
Yea this is what im talking about.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 52.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back