Are Burgess' Butterflyfish Reef Safe?

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my LFS just got a couple of Burgess butterflyfish that are eating dry food... But I really couldn't find much information about them... Anyone here has any experience with this fish?

I have a 90g reef... My corals are mostly eauphillia, leathers and acros... are these corals that these fish tend to pick on?

Also I have a copperband butterfly in there, any compatibility issues?

Thanks a lot for anyone who would chime in... This is a beautiful fish I'd love to get him but not without more info first... here are some shots from my LFS, sorry it was hard to get a good shot.

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"They are not good candidates for the reef aquarium, as they will pick at any feather dusters, anemones and LPS corals. However, they are useful in a reef aquarium that does not contain the former, as they will control aiptasia anemones. The Burgess' Butterfly's diet primarily consists of coral polyps, crustaceans, and algae in the wild."

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...G-B-4395&t=1&gclid=CK2mheqG2dQCFZqIswodrx8P2Q

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a burgessi and he doesn't bother my hammers, torches, toadstool, montis, or acros. He did attack my RBTA when it split, though.

They belong to the roaps group of the chaetodon genus.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back