are CBB really that hard?

Jack_soho

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 17, 2026
Messages
14
Reaction score
12
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been hearing and doing hundreds of hours on research about the copper banded butterfly and been to multiple Lfs too grab their 2 cents, and from what i’ve gathered is that they aren’t hard you just need a healthy specimen that will eat prepared foods, lmk what you guys think, the more information the better
Thanks again!
 
Ok great, ive seen some people like get them start eating mussels, but yea i agree i think i should keep observing the fish at my LFS
 
I got one from Dr. Reef last year. It was fully quarantined and eating frozen food when it came.
Didn't have any issues with it after shipping.
 
Getting them to eat can be challenging and just because they are eating at a LFS doesn't mean they will continue after being moved. I like to condition them in an observation tank.

This one has been in observation for 60+ days because I'm also growing him out.
Screenshot_20260920-193737~3.jpg
 
I got mine from TSM Aquatics and it lasted me 3 years. It was a bigger one though. I would go the quarantined way for these fish since they will come already eating.
 
Ok great, ive seen some people like get them start eating mussels, but yea i agree i think i should keep observing the fish at my LFS
I think this is one of the fish @Paul B entices with clams on the half shell. If he doesn't post, see if you can search his posts for copper band butterfly, etc.
 
Live brine shrimp really helps in my experience, I would put in the live brine and then once it showed interest started feeding frozen brine with some live and then a 50/50 mysis brine
 
OP, I'm in the same boat. Done a ton of reading about CBBs and I plan to add one the DT in the future.

I got one from Dr. Reef last year. It was fully quarantined and eating frozen food when it came.
Didn't have any issues with it after shipping
This is great to hear! I've been planning to get one from Dr. Reef, so it's great to hear personal experience. Did you get a larger size from them or smaller?

They are foragers so a mature tank is important.
I've seen this advice a lot too, which is why I'm waiting for my tank to mature further.

Looking forward to hearing from other's experiences!
 
OP, I'm in the same boat. Done a ton of reading about CBBs and I plan to add one the DT in the future.


This is great to hear! I've been planning to get one from Dr. Reef, so it's great to hear personal experience. Did you get a larger size from them or smaller?


I've seen this advice a lot too, which is why I'm waiting for my tank to mature further.

Looking forward to hearing from other's experiences!
Mine was about 2-1/2".
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new