OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming footballs, big enough to filet (solorensis wrasse below for scale).

vlamingi.JPG
Happy Americas Got Talent GIF by NBC

Stunning!!!!!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always tried to under-feed my fishie friends. Not up to the point of concave belly, but I tried to feed minimally. I've never had a skimmer so I was also wary of nutrient import. I let them graze along the liverock for their food more than I fed them. The only times I did heavy feedings was when I brought home a new fish.

Willie the copperband always found stuff to eat in the rocks and kept my aiptasia in check, Wilbert the yellow tang always grazed on rocks for algae. Even Marty the clownfish (May he rest in reef heaven) used to suck up pods from the glass. The only one that actually needed feeding was Shakazulu the Bangaii Cardinal. I never actually saw him eat from the rocks.

I only fed them for fun, but I figure stuff they find on the liverock is good for exhibiting natural bahaviour as well as pruning algae or aitpasia. My fish never had round bellies. Marty lived for 17 years! Willie and Wilbert are still with me for about 10 years now. Shaka died after 5 years. But I've heard that bangaii cardinals have shortlife spans.

I've never fed them flakes or processed food. (I tried as an experiment to see if i can condition Willie the Copperband to eat flakes. FAIL) They had frozen mysis, frozen bloodworms, live tubifex worms and live blackworms. My fish eat healthier than I do LoL

Does anyone know where I can source live bloodworms? I have never seen a bloodworm vendor.
In the UK live bloodworms are common in LFSs in fact you can buy them in 2 different sizes large and small live bloodworm

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the UK live bloodworms are common in LFSs in fact you can buy them in 2 different sizes large and small live bloodworm
I spent about 30 minutes of time searching online. All I could find was info on culturing your own, or purchasing freeze dried etc. I think due to their short life cycle, they may only be sold live by individuals that culture them or collect them. Once collected, you have about 2 to 3 days for them to remain alive. It’s also probably more common to find supply in mild weathered locations. I could be completely wrong though encourage anyone to correct me if so.

Spicoli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PT is a fat one. I think as long as you minimize wasted food with smaller frequent feedings, and feed them quality food with variety, it is a good thing.

Attachments

• PT1.jpg
    PT1.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 25
  • PT2.jpg
    PT2.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 25

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if fat in nature. Ss an example I see fat algae blennies that shouldn't be so fat due to eating too much of the wrong types of foods. They are called algae blennies for a reason .

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back