Are Feeder Fish a Good Option

jbassking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of buying around 30 minnows for my tank to feed my larger fish while we're away. What I'm wondering is, would the fish then expect live fish to feed on and in turn go to eat some of the smaller fish in our tank? We typically feed them frozen cubes and silversides. The eel, grouper and wrasse usually eat an entire silverside while the others will feed on smaller pieces or pick apart one that I hold in the water.

Here's what we have:

Snowflake Eel ~ 24"
Miniatus Grouper (he's new) ~ 6"
Oriental Sweetlips (he's new) ~ 6"
Formosa Wrasse ~6"
Columbian Shark (catfish) ~ 5"
Mono - Large ~ 4" - 4.5"
Yellow Tang ~ 4.5 "
Blue Hippo Tang - ~ 3.5"
3 Ocellaris Clown. From 2.25" - 3"
Marine Betta ~ 4.25"
2 Chromis 2.5" & 3.5"
Pajama Cardinal 2.75"
Macolor Snapper ~ 4.25"

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good idea. 1st off minnows are a bad food choice, nutritionally they have very negative consequences, being a temporary solution you can kind of forgive this one. Minnows also have a tendency to bind in the gut, causing bloat and death. Was someone going to feed for you or were you going to put them all in, the fish would gorge again causing bloat and death. The chromis, cardinals, and clowns will all eventually be food for the grouper, sweetlips, and snapper anyway.

OP
OP
J

jbassking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think it would be a great idea. Looks like our son is going to have to come over everyday to feed them their regular food.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 67 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 57 30.3%
Back