Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with cheap 3 watt UV LED's is they degrade very quickly do to the UV. Typically 6 months is a good life span.

Not only do we use true 395nm UV diodes in our fixtures, but they have in organic bodies and silica lenses for longer life. Yes they are more expensive.
Can you direct me to the UV diodes that you use?

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ran halides but I do think combining t5 and LED or halides and LEd is an awesome set up and can't go wrong...

for my 220 tank I'm about to run 3 gen 3 radions in the middle of the canopy and then 2 T5 bulbs in the front and back of the canopy....most likely 4 ATI blue plus bulbs or 2 blue plus and 2 actinics!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with cheap 3 watt UV LED's is they degrade very quickly do to the UV. Typically 6 months is a good life span.

Not only do we use true 395nm UV diodes in our fixtures, but they have in organic bodies and silica lenses for longer life. Yes they are more expensive.
I'm just not convinced. My unit has 400nm bridgelux and it's been running for over a year without issues. According to your site, you give 1 year for your 395nm with a two year warranty. If something goes wrong, you will send me a new diode to solder on?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My entire back up system has been lit with Led only for over three years now. Other parts of it longer. I have one 24x48x15 tank with two 48" fixtures over it and one 8' x 24" x 10" with a 48" and a 32" fixture primarily. There's one other satellite tank that 24x24 with a 24" fixture over it. I think with these lights its best to cover as much as you can as the spread is not so great.

In total I am running 9 led fixtures total 8 halides and 4, 60" 8 bulb T5 The only tank that I have a halide and leds over is a 48x48 shallow and my friend Therman who was out a few weeks ago can vouch that the led side looks better than the radium side. Not sure if its a fluke, but I will say a lot of my best looking frags come out of the back up system

Ack should have told me Tim was there, I always wanted to meet him from when Phill used to have his tank there. I mean I know him from online too.. Here how good of a memory I have.. Tim had a 40 gallon breeder that was one featured in a book on some of the best reef aquariums and this was probably 20 years ago. I am sure Phill would have wanted to see him too..

You should have told me Tim was there.. I know Tim from online and well Phill had one of his tank

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That's interesting... Maybe I need to try one of your fixtures...

The UV led I see in most is the 5w SemiLED I believe it is.. I think it is around 410nm

Last edited:

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just not convinced. My unit has 400nm bridgelux and it's been running for over a year without issues. According to your site, you give 1 year for your 395nm with a two year warranty. If something goes wrong, you will send me a new diode to solder on?
Correct, we would send you a new diode. :) Take a close look at your bridgelux 395nm, with the light off you should notice the lens getting frosted over time. Have some lasted longer? Of course, based on duty cycle and a little luck. But on average 1 year with a typical bridgelux style UV diode is not common. Also since the output of a true UV diode is very difficult to see with the naked eye, causing the dioded to look dim on day 1, many people will not notice that the lens is frosting over and output has been diminished.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ack should have told me Tim was there, I always wanted to meet him from when Phill used to have his tank there. I mean I know him from online too.. Here how good of a memory I have.. Tim had a 40 gallon breeder that was one featured in a book on some of the best reef aquariums and this was probably 20 years ago. I am sure Phill would have wanted to see him too..

You should have told me Tim was there.. I know Tim from online and well Phill had one of his tank

Sad to say it wasn't a good time
I totally copped out on Carlos and Jeremy the day of

Just started an addition on the house and it was a super hectic day.

We need to plan a get together though for sure
I've got some big developments over here ;)

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have noticed is folks with poor results blaming the lights day one. Switching back and forth, yet never happy. Although lights are important, they are not a silver bullet. Get your flow, food, placement, water quality and water chemistry spot on before you change lights due to poor results. Now if you are swapping for heat, cost of bulbs, shimmer, more pop, height of canopy, coverage area, more even spread of PAR/PUR verse single point or other operational issues, go for it. I have seen incredible tanks on all LED, all Halide, all T5 and combos of all 3.

Just seems like folks think If I buy light X, or switch to Halide, LED or T5 all my troubles are over. The right lighting can make a great tank exceptional, but it won't make an average tank great, not until other parameters are in check.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have noticed is folks with poor results blaming the lights day one. Switching back and forth, yet never happy. Although lights are important, they are not a silver bullet. Get your flow, food, placement, water quality and water chemistry spot on before you change lights due to poor results. Now if you are swapping for heat, cost of bulbs, shimmer, more pop, height of canopy, coverage area, more even spread of PAR/PUR verse single point or other operational issues, go for it. I have seen incredible tanks on all LED, all Halide, all T5 and combos of all 3.

Just seems like folks think If I buy light X, or switch to Halide, LED or T5 all my troubles are over. The right lighting can make a great tank exceptional, but it won't make an average tank great, not until other parameters are in check.
Very true. Takes away from true stability.
I, for one, am currently looking for just more light to supplement my AI 52HD's.

I will also be having a major upgrade, (with floating canopy), soon and want full coverage while not having to just buy more led's. Kinda more an all around points issue for me.

I love my hydras, no issues at all, as i just set them and leave alone, but I do love T5's coverage along the combo of from what I've seen.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Agreed T5 give nice side fill due to wide fixture dimensions combined with reflectors. LEDs are very directional. There are LED supplemental bars to use as side fills as well. Reef Brights makes a great proven supplemental light and Tullio provides exceptional customer service. Our supplemental bars are being released this weekend. 2,3,4,5 and 6' with Cree diodes. :)

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Agreed T5 give nice side fill due to wide fixture dimensions combined with reflectors. LEDs are very directional. There are LED supplemental bars to use as side fills as well. Reef Brights makes a great proven supplemental light and Tullio provides exceptional customer service. Our supplemental bars are being released this weekend. 2,3,4,5 and 6' with Cree diodes. :)
I do use them, have for years.
Love them. Have on frag tank currently.

New tank will be 60x30, so yes, need that side fill.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 96x42 (32 deep) and using 32" fixtures aligned front to back. I get decent side fill on most corals. Some very thick BN could use a little more. I have supplemental lights I may add to the front pointing back.

914010fa7fb93c6c564c211689467dcd.jpg

Averill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 HO's definitely. Best of both worlds. Full spectrum lighting with as many different lamps as you would like to stick in and not near the cost to run as a halide. Being an electrician and having seen many different lighting set ups, I have to say t5 all the way. T5 is like the forgotten child because there was such a quick transition from t8 to t5 to led. Personally t5 gives you the most options with lamp kelvin, color, uv capable, and all cool to the touch so you more mounting options. T5 period

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah. seems we are beta-testing a technology that still hasnt proven itself without an inch of a doubt like the mh.

id hang back another year or so. leds are still trying to grow.

ill say that ime... they are just about there if you know what to avoid.

led market is toxic to new comers. mh is plug and play
This was my thinking about 5 years ago and essentially I am still of the same mindset when it comes to a SPS dominated tank.

Last edited:

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my thinking about 5 years ago and essentially I am still of the same mindset.
Idk, I think we are there, it's just the case of proper amount needed, along with the human error of constant fiddling with them.

Manufacturers NEED to give proper spectrum and coverage over water. *Another thing is people buy leds and not take into account their aquascapes and needs of to cover.

I have no issues, except the fact I will need more for total coverage, on next build, If that is a reason, Ill agree, other than that, color and growth are not imo.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say one of the main reason mh is making a comeback is simply cost. MH is a fraction of the cost and for any newb just coming into the hobby with a little research will find they work and work well and parts last. Most of these "High end" LEDS are way way over priced and have mixed reviews that scare newbs away. Also the life expectancy of most "high end" LEDs are not the long for the cost. So even if you would save on bulbs and maybe power (but I am living proof you wont save on power in the end) you will never recoup the costs saved over the life of a "high end" LED fixture to make it worth it. When people read on the "black boxes" you get page after page of dont waste your money there crap. Most of which I can tell instantly have never owned a black box they just had really deep pockets. My mars aqua fixtures do the job just fine and are cheap. I wish the led spectrum were a little better and you can buy replacement LEDs in pretty much any color you want. However I was just on SB reefs website and they sell replacement boards that are pretty much plug and play for only something like 70 buck and will go into my existing fixtures. For that even if they only lasted a year you are still ahead cost wise over MH. After that is will be only about preference. I like the look of leds but they are a little to blue for me but I like the look of the pic above. I dont think MH is going anywhere at least not untill these high end LEDs become more realistically priced.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
T5 HO's definitely. Best of both worlds. Full spectrum lighting with as many different lamps as you would like to stick in and not near the cost to run as a halide. Being an electrician and having seen many different lighting set ups, I have to say t5 all the way. T5 is like the forgotten child because there was such a quick transition from t8 to t5 to led. Personally t5 gives you the most options with lamp kelvin, color, uv capable, and all cool to the touch so you more mounting options. T5 period
Disagree with cost....my 4ft tank is covered by 2 mh bulbs that are 55bucks each...so 110$ per year.... t5 bulbs 48" are about 20bucks a piece and i would need 6 for my acros.....thats 120$ per year. The difference is neglegable....seems pretty tied up

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back