Are montapora especially light sensitive

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are montapora especially sensitive to bleaching with too much light compared to other corals?

I have four Montis of different species that did fine in QT for 45 days. Two weeks into display and they're mostly bleached. I suspect I didn't turn my lights down enough though they were on only 25% intensity near noon and less at other times. Don't ask about par, I don't have a par meter. However I do have a green slimer acro, a mint pavona and a stellar Stylo that all seem to be doing fine in about the same position in the tank. I've moved the Montis down and turn the lights down to 10% intensity max, but I suspect it's too late for my Montis.

I'm trying to figure out if I have the correct diagnosis before buying more corals. Does anyone have direct experience or citations of montpora being even more sensitive to highlight than other corals such as my green slimer acro?

I know Montis not making it is a terribly common question and I read as many other threads as I could. I'm not looking for help with a full diagnosing of all the possible causes. I'm just trying to figure out if too much light makes sense given all the other corals surviving.

In QT these corals were about an inch under the lights, but my QT has some cheap blue and white track lighting. Display has for Lumia 5.2s, two of which would shine on these corals. They're significantly deeper in the water than in QT and the lighting looks similar to me, but I know it's nearly impossible to eyeball light levels.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti’s can take a ton of light . How
Much flow do you have ?
They are sensitive to alk swings some I think ..

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti’s can take a ton of light .
That's why I waited two weeks to turn he lights down by 15% from 25% to 10%. I had been raising them 1%/day, but I stopped and the Montis kept getting worse. Then I bumped them down 5% with continued bleaching after a few days. Now I've turned them way down in a last-ditch effort to save them, but I'm afraid it will fail and starve my other corals.

My question is not how much light, but if a large light increase from QT to DT (just a guess since I can't measure either tank) could cause them to start bleaching after a week while my acro, sylo and pavona did fine.

How
Much flow do you have ?
They are sensitive to alk swings some I think ..
Lots of chaotic flow. It's the return side of the tank, which also has a powerhead.

Possible temporarily alk swing. I dose two part daily on that side of the tank because it's such high flow. They may get a very temporary hit of soda ash and calcium carbonate daily. But measured alk 8.5 +/- .3 on weekly tests.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experience, most montis love light but as with all corals, they need time to adjust or they will start bleaching.

This is something that I do when introducing my corals into my main display after quarantine. I have this diy frag rack attached to magnet (you can use an egg crate or the top of those plastic floating breeder box). Then adjust the frag rack towards the bottom and place your newbies there and gradually raise them up. Once they have adjusted to your desired height/light intensity you can attach them to the rocks.

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these caps or digis?

Caps are a bit fussier than digis, especially when it comes to phosphate levels.

Under proper/stable SPS conditions montipora can take a lot of light. Blue and Green digis will take as might light as you can throw at them.

They get light sensitive when there's really big nutrient swings, especially nitrate. If you move them from a really low nutrient tank to one with higher nitrate they will be very light sensitive until they adapt.

Montis arent even close to being as sensitive about alk as acropora.

Back