Are my clownfish unhappy?

dhjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pair of false percs for a few years. They seem very healthy (eating, growing, active, parasite free, etc...). However, to my knowledge they've never spawned. Does that mean they're not thriving?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, no. Maybe one of them has an issue with reproduction? I wouldn't worry about it.

My wife and I don't have any kids (we're retired) and we have never been happier... up until COVID-19 got us stuck at home. We were having fun traveling all over the US before... and hopefully we will again by the end of 2021! :cool:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many years is "a few". If it's only 2, maybe they haven't started yet. I agree this doesn't necessarily mean they are unhappy but they also probably can spawn in the future. How often are you feeding them?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish can sometimes be reluctant to spawn in an active, crowded tank. In my experience, being housed with other territorial species and/or not having an anemone can also be factors.

If you are really interested in them spawning, you can try thinning out the inhabitants of your current tank or putting them in a 20 gallon tank by themselves.

Conditioning them with live food is also an almost universal trigger for aquarium fish. I feed mine plenty of live foods and my Occelaris clown pair spawns every other week like clockwork. I’ve had the female for about two years and the male for one.

OP
OP
dhjunkie

dhjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many years is "a few". If it's only 2, maybe they haven't started yet. I agree this doesn't necessarily mean they are unhappy but they also probably can spawn in the future. How often are you feeding them?
I feed them once a day

OP
OP
dhjunkie

dhjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish can sometimes be reluctant to spawn in an active, crowded tank. In my experience, being housed with other territorial species and/or not having an anemone can also be factors.

If you are really interested in them spawning, you can try thinning out the inhabitants of your current tank or putting them in a 20 gallon tank by themselves.

Conditioning them with live food is also an almost universal trigger for aquarium fish. I feed mine plenty of live foods and my Occelaris clown pair spawns every other week like clockwork. I’ve had the female for about two years and the male for one.
This might not make sense but since I've heard/read that spawning is a sign they're likely thriving maybe mine may not be thriving because they haven't. Sounds like that might not necessarily be the case.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try increasing the feeding to 3x a day. Also not sure what you are feeding but make sure it's high quality.

Note when I say feed 3x a day I don't mean feed 3x as much. More food is probably good but more times a day is also important. This is not to say they can't spawn on 1x a day but this just makes it more likely. I *try* and feed my breeding maroons almost every time I walk by the tank but just a tiny bit (they only have 1 tank mate so this is easy).

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started feeding my clowns 3-4x a day (when schedule allows) and they instantly paired and started hosting a BTA (they weren’t paired before, and were together for 4 months.) I’ve heard that heating the tank to 81°F for a week can help trigger their mating instincts, making them think it’s spring. In addition, if there’s any perceived threat, they may be hesitant to spawn.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might not make sense but since I've heard/read that spawning is a sign they're likely thriving maybe mine may not be thriving because they haven't. Sounds like that might not necessarily be the case.
It is absolutely possible with clownfish to have a tank environment that is not conducive to spawning but is otherwise perfectly healthy for them.

I would second the advice to feed your tank a bit more frequently...

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current clowns came from my bio cube 29 gallon 5 years old switched to my 210 and started spawning a year later. Don’t know if it was the space provided or the age of fish. Had four fish in the cube and 13 in the 210 so who knows

OP
OP
dhjunkie

dhjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. They still haven't spawned. Also, they are growing at the same rate. Shouldn't one be much larger than the other by now?

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back