Are my clowns broken?

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
240 gallon tank. Currently 3 tangs and 3 clowns (2 black & white, 1 normal). The 2 B&W are pretty big. I would say full grown if not real close, and the orange is a good bit smaller. Not sure how long the three have been together because I bought the tank setup with fish. Anyhow all stay in the top back corner next to the overflow. They venture out to about mid tank back wall to eat, but otherwise never leave this post. The orange will venture off on his own to the other side sometimes, but always goes back. What is up with this behavior? They did this in this tank before the move, and did this in a buddies tank that he had setup to hold my fish in while I got this tank set back up. They pick a top corner of the tank and just stay there.... It's honestly like they aren't even in the tank most of the time.

IMG_6847.jpg

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty common if there is nothing in the tank to host them, nothing particularly wrong with it but if you got them an anemone or a hammer coral or something they may move to that.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty common if there is nothing in the tank to host them, nothing particularly wrong with it but if you got them an anemone or a hammer coral or something they may move to that.

Thanks for the reply. My daughter just got a tank in another state and my wife wants to give the clowns to her so we can get new ones because she thinks they will be different. I thought I would look into it a bit first. I didn't have clowns in my last tank, so unsure of their "normal" behavior.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That hilarious, is that upper right hand corner of your tank? I have a pair of Ocellaris that stay in the same spot. When they lay eggs the move down to mid tank corner.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my tank, that is Sanjay Joshi's tank who is a member here and basically one of the founders of the hobby. In addition to the fish in the corner he also has a bunch of breeding pairs in the overflow which is probably the clownfish prison they were referring to.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back