Are my fish safe?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first water change with a fully stocked tank and tried to be safe and gentle, however I kicked up so much debris and I think I sanded in my pistol shrimp and goby’s cave while they’re inside it! Will the pistol shrimp be able to dig them out or do I need to step in and take down the Aquascape?

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first water change with a fully stocked tank and tried to be safe and gentle, however I kicked up so much debris and I think I sanded in my pistol shrimp and goby’s cave while they’re inside it! Will the pistol shrimp be able to dig them out or do I need to step in and take down the Aquascape?
Pistol shrimp dig caves for the gobie they should be fine

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine from my understanding (there is always a possibility of death though). However, in a natural reef they likely experience these events with shifts in the water current where sand blows right over their burrow entrance. As another user said, I would not intervene as you will likely only stress them out more. I had a goby pistol shrimp pair around a decade ago that I thought had died (never saw them), six months later I hear the familiar clicking sound that only a pistol shrimp would make and then saw the pair a few days later - they are resilient and can survive in a tank without you even knowing they are there.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back