Is this coral - fish safe? - Fish dominant tank

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-entering the hobby after 20 years. I previously only ran a fish only tank. Definitely want to venture into corals, but I think I prefer a more “fish dominant” with a few coral here and there.

I tend to gravitate to some of the fish deemed borderline reef safe or “with caution”. Many of which have mixed reviews on reef and invertebrate compatibility. Most discussions I see are around the question “Is this fish - reef safe?” I am interested in the reverse (if there is such a thing) “Is this coral - fish safe?” :)

If I wanted to build an ecosystem that the fish come first, are there particular coral and inverts that tend to survive better in such an environment? Perhaps a dumb question…

I am currently setting up a 150 gallon tank (54x30x24) and looking at how I want to stock from a clean sheet.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi. Welcome back. Sure u can choose from a variety of soft coral species from sinularia nepthea capnella sarcophyton zoas mushroom types. These corals May do better w less than ideal labeled non reef safe wet pets

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really know if there are any non fish safe corals.
I feel like if there were they would haft to be the kind that deliberately kills a fish. Or dumps a ungodly amount of toxins into the water.
I also don't think a coral like that would be found in a aqurium. Might not even be able to live in aqurium.

There are obviously corals that can kill a fish if it swims through it and is weak enough. Like some euphillia.

You could say a carpet anenome, although not a coral, could be considered fish safe with caution. Since they do sometimes eat fish and their own hosting clowns.

OP
OP
N

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really know if there are any non fish safe corals.
I feel like if there were they would haft to be the kind that deliberately kills a fish. Or dumps a ungodly amount of toxins into the water.
I also don't think a coral like that would be found in a aqurium. Might not even be able to live in aqurium.

There are obviously corals that can kill a fish if it swims through it and is weak enough. Like some euphillia.

You could say a carpet anenome, although not a coral, could be considered fish safe with caution. Since they do sometimes eat fish and their own hosting clowns.
Sorry for the confusion, I am asking about coral that “non reef-safe fish” are less interested in messing with (not the other way around. Not looking for fish killing corals :oops:). Coral like the ones @HudsonReefer2.0 mentioned above that may do better with borderline reef-safe fish.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the confusion, I am asking about coral that “non reef-safe fish” are less interested in messing with (not the other way around. Not looking for fish killing corals :oops:). Coral like the ones @HudsonReefer2.0 mentioned above that may do better with borderline reef-safe fish.
Ohhh. I'm dumb.
I know in really big tanks sps can be kept.
But you can't really keep anything fleshy.
Also the sps wouldn't really extend.
I don't think anything would work in only 150gal.
You can look at some of the videos on the 16k gal tank.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I am doing with my 180 gallon, as it will be primarily various butterflyfish, with a moorish idol, regal angel, and some dwarf angels.

I'm going to try large frags/small colonies that I can find reasonably priced locally, grow them out, and add them to the tank before moving all the other fish over. So far, plan is some Acros, Monti plates, multiple gorgonians, various macroalgaes, anemones (with clownfish to help protect them), mushrooms, kenya trees, palys.

Definitely won't be the traditional reef tank.

I will add some larger anemones to my 240 gallon fowlr eventually once I upgrade the lights. Everything else gets eaten (even maxi mini carpets and palys) between the maculosus angel, cream angel, yellow belly dogface puffer, and picasso trigger.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back