Orchid dottyback: temperament

Porcupine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these types of dottybacks on the peaceful side or are they aggressive like other dottybacks, would like to know about your experience and should I by them or not.

HorribleParameters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines pretty chill, added a neon dottyback recently and they hang out together
My neon was an active terrorist. Only thing to stand up to him was the large female clownfish. He tried bullying my Choat Wrasse when I first got her, and to the LFS for in store credit the dottyback went. Super pretty, really smart, way too high strung.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an indigo dottyback and he turned into an invert serial killer. Killed my shrimp. Killed my hermits. Terrorized my emerald crab.
Mine considers the bottom caves as his home. If a snail or crab crawls in there he picks them up with his mouth and tosses them 5 inches away from the entrance. He also scoops up dirty sand with his mouth and tosses it outside vacuuming his space once a week. I think he is OCD

OP
OP
Porcupine Reefer

Porcupine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine considers the bottom caves as his home. If a snail or crab crawls in there he picks them up with his mouth and tosses them 5 inches away from the entrance. He also scoops up dirty sand with his mouth and tosses it outside vacuuming his space once a week. I think he is OCD
What about orchid dottybacks, thought about getting those

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Have 2 orchid dottybacks, they were introduced at different times and paired up.

They are completely peaceful except one time I introduced a small wrasse smaller than them. They chased it constantly and I moved it to another tank.

Other than that they are really peaceful and do not bother anyone. I think it was just a smaller new fish that bothered them in their territory.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 39 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back