Are my new Tomato clowns fighting or establishing dominance?

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two tomato clowns and a gorgeous bta for them to host/be hosted by. Both clowns came from the same tank at the LFS. My issue is that now that there is a bta in the mix the older tomato doesn’t let the younger one inside the bta. It’s allowed to be close but more often than not the older chases the younger away, they seem to “kiss” then the younger does the submissive quiver dance, the older replies with a much shorter quiver and the younger hides under a nearby shelf and the cycle repeats. Do I need to be concerned by this behavior? I really wanted both of them to live in the same bta. Should I take the older one back to the lfs and exchange it for a younger tomato? Just buy another bta for the younger tomato to live in? Wait it out and see if they settle the argument? I’m relatively new to reefing so I’m not sure how to handle the situation. As of right now I’m leaning towards waiting a few days but wanted to ask just in case.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, how large are the clowns? Do you know that one is younger or older for sure? Were they together by themselves at the LFS?
Second, the female will rule. She will be in the nem and the male will be where ever she allows him to be. It may be close, it may not. Once they actually spawn, they will be closer to each other and the nem.
The kissing is aggression. If they cannnot come to an agreement, one will have to go as they will both want the female position and death can occur.
Keep an eye on them. Some aggression is normal and how they establish dominance.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, how large are the clowns? Do you know that one is younger or older for sure? Were they together by themselves at the LFS?
Second, the female will rule. She will be in the nem and the male will be where ever she allows him to be. It may be close, it may not. Once they actually spawn, they will be closer to each other and the nem.
The kissing is aggression. If they cannnot come to an agreement, one will have to go as they will both want the female position and death can occur.
Keep an eye on them. Some aggression is normal and how they establish dominance.
The older clown is definitely full grown. I’d say about 3” and has darker coloration. The younger one is about 2”-2.5” and is much lighter in coloration with almost no black/brown present. They were kept together with two other Tomato clowns in a frag tank.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY, I object to the Female allowing the Male to be where she wants him to be!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Just Kidding!!!

@DeniseAndy is correct, they are setting the role of male and female, and the female does rule the nem.;Hilarious:(;Hilarious

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY, I object to the Female allowing the Male to be where she wants him to be!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Just Kidding!!!

@DeniseAndy is correct, they are setting the role of male and female, and the female does rule the nem.;Hilarious:(;Hilarious
Much different than my Picasso, Ocellaris and carpet in my other tank. They are constantly next to each other both in and out of the nem. Those two however, (Pico the Picasso and Gallo the Ocellaris) are about the same age with Gallo being a smidge older, about 1.5” and have definitely had time to figure out dominance. I suppose I thought it would be the same story with the Tomato’s however they are more aggressive so I should have taken that into account.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a similar issue a long time ago and the aggressive one had to go....even after a 2nd BTA was added. She was chewing the fins of the male
The aggressive one does look old as well like it’s been through some stuff. The other one looks young. I may end up trading the older one if they don’t settle it soon.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The suspects. I hope you all can see the video.

image.jpg C8F8FBC2-1B95-4F28-830F-E98F5900BDF7.jpeg

Attachments

• 64824388497__0EA30071-EA77-4662-89E4-3F2DF593A0BB.MOV
    3.8 MB

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much different than my Picasso, Ocellaris and carpet in my other tank. They are constantly next to each other both in and out of the nem. Those two however, (Pico the Picasso and Gallo the Ocellaris) are about the same age with Gallo being a smidge older, about 1.5” and have definitely had time to figure out dominance. I suppose I thought it would be the same story with the Tomato’s however they are more aggressive so I should have taken that into account.
Unfortunately, you can never tell as they are in the Damsel family.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you can never tell as they are in the Damsel family.
So I’m learning! The more I watch them the more… tolerant they seem of each other. It’s a lot better when the lights are on but the aggression is still present. This has prompted the younger clown to take interest in a nearby frammer which could also be neat.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not look too old as tomatoes can get quite big. It does settle down, normally. They are pretty.
Hope they settle in.
Over a year in and my clarkiis just started being near each other. Although I think it is due to the nems being next to each other. The female is quite large so hoping for eggs soon. But my fingers are not ready.

Oops, I thought I posted this yesterday. My bad, at least they are good now.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a wild guess based on the video..the larger may be a melanopus ???

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not look too old as tomatoes can get quite big. It does settle down, normally. They are pretty.
Hope they settle in.
Over a year in and my clarkiis just started being near each other. Although I think it is due to the nems being next to each other. The female is quite large so hoping for eggs soon. But my fingers are not ready.

Oops, I thought I posted this yesterday. My bad, at least they are good now.
Sorry for the algae on the glass but this is after feeding time and they seem to be doing well. I’m acclimating new corals to lights (they were only under blues at the lfs) so now that the lights are on for the moment the clowns are much more active, exploring the tank and loving their new home.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a wild guess based on the video..the larger may be a melanopus ???
That’s what I thought as well. The younger one (cherry) is a little darker towards the tail but not near as much as the older (Roma)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back