Are my T5s to dim?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Actinics, they have a lot of the spectrum that a PAR meter will not capture, or only partially captures in the lower part of the visible range, as well as true UV. If you use a better spectrometer, then an Actinic would likely be nearly the same as the B+.

Halides are the same way - lots of spectrum that a PAR meter does not do well with.
No an actinic literally has Less output in par lux or lumen. This is due to the heavy filtration needed to release only that spectrum.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who cares about PAR, Lux or Lumen... those only represent parts of the visible spectrum and corals can use spectrum beyond/outside of this, which Actinic has. For a coral, an Actinic bulb has nearly the same useful output as a B+ or C+... and probably more if you consider that the lower wavelengths have more energy than the waves that make up Lux or Lumen band for human eyesight. Tullio covered this pretty well in his Light Facts video.

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Did you "break in" your t5s? Also, did you take measurements right after turning on? T5s needs some time after initial turn on to reach full power. They start off a little dim and get stronger the longer they're on, before reaching their peak.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who cares about PAR, Lux or Lumen... those only represent parts of the visible spectrum and corals can use spectrum beyond/outside of this, which Actinic has. For a coral, an Actinic bulb has nearly the same useful output as a B+ or C+... and probably more if you consider that the lower wavelengths have more energy than the waves that make up Lux or Lumen band for human eyesight. Tullio covered this pretty well in his Light Facts video.
Got it. Forget science and engineering.
Magic unseen spectrum that coral need and no meter can detect and and no scone can prove corals need.

Ps. Rub you hands together till they get hot. Then give it to the corals. It’s about 800 nm.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean pseudoscience? Real science assumes that nature is correct until proven otherwise, not the other way around. Prove that the corals do not need the spectrum that the sun gives. It is Hubris of Man to assume that only spectrum that our eyes can see is valuable. I get that is all that matters with lighting for human needs, thus Lux and Lumen, but you should know the difference...

I thought that you had enough experience to know that at least UV is tremendously valuable, but maybe the comment was just flippant and not anything else.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back