Are my zoanthids melting?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked up the stock light for the light in a Biocube. Go figure.. It is a 50/50 which I suggested to use minimal for lighting and would not use anything past a beginner level coral. Kind of surprised they would even start a tank off with a 50/50 and not sell a regular CFL so you have to buy a 50/50.

MaddReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller volume of water the easier it is to contaminate. Could have just been something on your hands. Really hard to tell with zoas. Sometimes they just melt. Do a water change and run some carbon.

MaddReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have something to do with heat I think. Full size compacts would heat that biocube up. When I had one, I had to leave the door on the top open with the stock bulbs.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a old biocube and we kept mushshooms and zoas in there for well over a year before we took it down when we moved. The tank stayed warmer then we liked it to be but everything did great in there. Within a month we had double the zoas and had new mushrooms. If we were to set up another cube I would definitely buy one with upgraded lighting but power compacts work just fine IMO. I would definitely pay attention to your parameters. In my experience sometimes zoas just melt. We've had it happen in our 75g reef and then they would come back even faster then before. Even with our parameters where they need to be.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tahoe61, so I don't get a "in Knasty's defense. Even though I don't know him. He was on to something about the lights trying to help you out. He also suggested using a 50/50. Not knowing what the bulbs are in a biocube and the bulbs just so happened to be a 50/50. So technically he wasn't leading you down the wrong road if he was telling you to use a 50/50 bulb. He did give you some solid advice about zooxanthellae aside of it not being referred to as an algae anymore, but technically it used to be." :rolleyes:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, this has gotten way off topic and you have no need to be defensive knasty. Your the one judging sir and you have no idea about my experience, tanks I've kept, people I know who are extremely knowledgeable, and how long I've been reefing. Looking at my profile to assume I've only been in the hobby for 3 years is laughable. The OP has made a post for help and this has turned into argument because you fail to realize there's other opinions and that's actually good for this hobby. To the OP, you've got great advice thus far and on behalf of my self I apologize, I did not want your thread turned into this. Happy reefing all.

OP
OP
A

aSpottedCow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help and input guys, I will update when/if I solve the issue! Also, I do plan on upgrading my lighting but tbh, just wanted to make sure I enjoyed salt as much as I did freshwater before I invested a ton of cash. Again, thanks a lot for the replies!

OP
OP
A

aSpottedCow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help and input guys, I will update when/if I solve the issue! Also, I do plan on upgrading my lighting but tbh, just wanted to make sure I enjoyed salt as much as I did freshwater before I invested a ton of cash. Again, thanks a lot for the replies!

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive grown many zoanthids in Biocubes. I will go as far to say, you can grow any zoa with the stock biocube lighting .
This narrative is hilarious to me. Come on guys and gals, lets get off the Biocube lights are sufficient" kick. They simply are not good lights. They are one of the most bottom of the barrel light setups a person could have in this hobby. I know, I had one for years. I would say that a goid rule of thumb is that a person in this hobby should be prepared and willing to spend more money on the lighting system than the tank itself. Unless you can get one used, that's what you will pay for decent lighting for your tanks inhabitants. There really is no discussion beyond this. Ditch the hood and get an AI prime for example. It would be perfect for your tank and you will never need to worry about it overheating when the fans go out. Which, undoubtedly, they will. I think the other person that stated there are high light level zoas and lower light level zoas is spot on, but I highly doubt that a stock biocube light setup could ever produce too much light. I have never heard any with a biocube make that complaint.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This narrative is hilarious to me. Come on guys and gals, lets get off the Biocube lights are sufficient" kick. They simply are not good lights. They are one of the most bottom of the barrel light setups a person could have in this hobby. I know, I had one for years. I would say that a goid rule of thumb is that a person in this hobby should be prepared and willing to spend more money on the lighting system than the tank itself. Unless you can get one used, that's what you will pay for decent lighting for your tanks inhabitants. There really is no discussion beyond this. Ditch the hood and get an AI prime for example. It would be perfect for your tank and you will never need to worry about it overheating when the fans go out. Which, undoubtedly, they will. I think the other person that stated there are high light level zoas and lower light level zoas is spot on, but I highly doubt that a stock biocube light setup could ever produce too much light. I have never heard any with a biocube make that complaint.
No one said it's great lighting. The fact remains that it CAN, WILL and HAS grown many zoanthids and other corals. No one is debating that lighting now is far superior to PC but I can still fire up our little biocube with factory PC lighting and grow rastas. Can we stop beating a dead horse here.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one said it's great lighting. The fact remains that it CAN, WILL and HAS grown many zoanthids and other corals. No one is debating that lighting now is far superior to PC but I can still fire up our little biocube with factory PC lighting and grow rastas. Can we stop beating a dead horse here.
Yea. Sure. But not to the coral's best potential. Its like arguing that feeding a fish half if what it needs to survive is ok because it is still living. Honestly, it comes across as disingenuous.

Aquarius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a twenty gallon with about 8 different types of zoa and a kessil a80. All of the zoa except one, wwc darth maul, look great, it popped out a couple polyps and haven't opened in about 2 weeks, parameters are fine. Some zoa are very finicky and what we think they may or may not like doesn't matter to them. Besides, op's zoa do look upset, try a dip and wait. sometimes they close up for a while then reopen , if they begin to lose serious mass and the tissue begins to discolor, then there is cause for concern.

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At surfandturf, I take it you didn't read the entire thread. Telling a person to change his lighting because his zoas isn't opening is disengenuos. Trying to help the OP with facts and knowledge is what we try to do. So stating a fact the PC can grow zoas is like saying feeding a fish half of what it needs is ok, that's your anology?? Ok. The fact is that just because a coral isn't opening for the OP doesn't mean it's because he doesn't have the best lighting.

Aquarius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salt water is very enjoyable… but like any hobby dealing with live animals, or any hobby for that matter, it has its ups and downs. You have to take it as it comes. Just go slow and do research. Everyone has their own opinion on what's right and wrong. Some of it is standard and what works and makes since, while others are based off of experiences outside of the norm. Try not to drown in all the information, what works for some may not work for others IME. Good luck!!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a list of great T5s if you go that route.
Screenshot_2017-01-20-23-06-30.png
Look, this has gotten way off topic and you have no need to be defensive knasty. Your the one judging sir and you have no idea about my experience, tanks I've kept, people I know who are extremely knowledgeable, and how long I've been reefing. Looking at my profile to assume I've only been in the hobby for 3 years is laughable. The OP has made a post for help and this has turned into argument because you fail to realize there's other opinions and that's actually good for this hobby. To the OP, you've got great advice thus far and on behalf of my self I apologize, I did not want your thread turned into this. Happy reefing all.
I have no problems with other people's opinions. Just when they are about as good as 50/50 lights stock in a biocube. I think an opinion that an upgrade was probably in need and was a good one that I would stand by. You stick by what you said and don't apologize for it. When I answer to a thread a person posts. I am giving the guy solid advice. How corals work. How lights work. If he wants to take your advice. Let him. My advice comes from people with plenty of tanks, a LFS, the only place I would ever trust 100%, and I have been to LFS all over New England to Ohio. Probably 30 in total and I am not talking chain stores. Ya learn a lot when you ask a lot, read way to much, also from mistakes, and from common sense, because there is about 10% good information given. To about 90% that is bad given. I don't have the support stickers below my name or someone that helps run the forum, but I do have 2 tanks that I care for very much every day without the bells and whistles like said biocube lights. So stick by your opinion. If his corals die, because of insufficient lighting. Then you may apologize. Nothing I said would give reason to apologize about to the other person, because there is no guess work. It will 100% be better for the coral's health. Fact. Whether or not it can grow under a 50/50 stock light on a biocube. He said he was going to upgrade to the LEDs. So drop it. Glad he took good advice from someone here who mentioned it(me). Even though I don't like LEDs and would say go T5, because no matter how expensive a light fixture is for a T5. You can always put the best T5s in any fixture. Whether it be a $120 SolarMax HO or some Giesemann that costs $5k. You put in either ATI or Giesemann bulbs. Only thing that differs is the reflectors or fan. who cares if the ballast goes when you can buy 20 years supply of T5 bulbs and 10 Solar Max HO T5 fixtures to equal $5k.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm clapping for you man, good grief. Why are you so hung up on who or what mods I might know? Maybe it's because we've been around awhile and reefing for more than 3 years. Lol. We've got multiple tanks too sir. Good thing about this hobby is that everyone can take advice and use it as they see fit. Get over it man, everyone is here to help. I'm done here

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excellent, hope the zoanthids come around for you.

:)

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'm doubtful that it's the lighting.. zoas will grow under just about any spectrum and type of bulb. From household incandescants, CFL, LED... any of them will suffice.. it's debatable that zoas actually need so much blue and not a warmer spectrum since they are often found in shallow lagoons that may only be an inch deep. I've had my best zoa growth with 6500k T5 bulbs but CFL will grow them well if not better than LeDs. In this case when zoas are closed up its better to suspect other causes than the CFL such as pests or water quality issues. Address those before upgrading lighting. In my opinion T5s are all around better than CFL which is why there are rarely CFL fixtures since the cost is similar. But in this case changing lighting while there is another underlying issue will only further stress the coral.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back