Are natural gas heaters reef safe?

Oceanic_Gardens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

so I’m dealing with a problem where the ambient temperature in my room is 65°F in the winter time. So my solution was to put in a Natural gas wall heater and this has been excellent in keeping my room temperature to 72°F consistently. So my question is, will this burning of natural gas cause problems with my reef tank? Will I experience a very low pH due to the amount of CO2? Any help is appreciated, without this heater I can’t keep my tank water to 76°+. No livestock is in the water at the moment. All help is appreciated, thank you!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a vented heater i stalled and operating properly it should have minimal impact. Having said that i would personally buy one of the co2 meters online just to make me feel better I think can find well under $100 now. I would also buy a carbon monoxide alarm for in there if you dont have one yet. Not so much for the tank but for you.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While combustion of natural gas does produce carbon dioxide, it produces about 30 percent less than oil and 45 percent less than coal, and natural gas doesn't produce ash particles like coal and oil do, which adds to air pollution. Though it doesn’t have as much of an effect on global warming per unit compared to other greenhouse gases, it is by far the most abundant greenhouse gas in our atmosphere -- and reducing carbon dioxide emissions has been the focus of curbing the greenhouse effect.

To me, it sounds like natural gas releases less CO2 than using oil, so that’s better. However, it seems like ph might decrease regardless if not ventilated properly.

I don’t know if having low ph has any effect on a tank that doesn’t house corals.

Would using high watt heaters not work in your tank in the future?

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would have just used bigger in tank heaters. a lot cheaper and less work then a gas heater.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the business. As said a picture would help. Did you install this? It HAS to be vented. Usually burner compartments are sealed now. So unless this is a garage heater of some age there is no danger at all. If it is an older type there are roll out safeties CO is the danger. It is a product of incomplete combustion. Again safeties will render it inoperable. In any case if it is performing properly there are no escaping gases at all.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To me, it sounds like natural gas releases less CO2 than using oil, so that’s better. However, it seems like ph might decrease regardless if not ventilated properly.

I don’t know if having low ph has any effect on a tank that doesn’t house corals.

Would using high watt heaters not work in your tank in the future?
That is not correct at all I am afraid, The argument against Fossil fuels is not the ozone but is called greenhouse gas effect that effects the environment which is the cause of raising temperatures ie climate change. Refrigerants and the like are the enemies of the ozone. CFC's Chloroflorocarbon hence the banning of R12, and lately R22. It is now R410A.That is why all the talk about going electric. So it depends how the hydro is produced to make it a real argument. California, and NY are 2 states that adopted this approach, and BC here

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back