Are palys more hardy than zoas?

FloridaMicroReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Palys normally more hardy than zoas?

Obviously, the drab generic palys are probably going to be super indestructible compared to zoas. I'm really more concerned about fancier more attractive palys and how they compare to fancy / attractive zoa varieties.

I generally think of palys as hardier, larger, and super easy to feed. But is this always a general rule?

For example: Jason Fox Corals is selling = Armageddon Palys, Daisy Dukes Palys, Visuran Palys . . .

Are these likely to be hardier, than the other designer zoanthids also on the Jason Fox website?

(I do not have the budget for Jason Fox Corals, but I'm using it as an example for shopping)

Thanks for your opinions and insight.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. I think they are all pretty easy to keep but I'm not into designer corals. Let's see what others have to say

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My palys grow like weeds, but my zoas are slower. I try not to keep them together also since palys will overrun your zoas very fast. Love zoa gardens, but palys need their own space.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger palys like gobstoppers, green implosions, etc., are some of the hardiest corals you can get. However, smaller designer zoas can be incredibly fickle and not tolerate water nutrient changes without melting, get run over by feather dusters, minor nuisance algae, etc. I have a colony of teal rings and red hornets that grew like crazy, then lost all their color and stopped growing when I added a fuge and lowered nitrate levels. Meanwhile my gobstopper, purple deaths and others are growing like mad. I have SPS like blue digipora that will tolerate wider param swings than some designer zoas.

Larger palys can take nutrients from the water like zoo plankton, reef roids, etc. They can adapt to different nutrient conditions while smaller zoas respond in the wild via large die-offs and then growing back. Besides hardier zoas like bams and dragon eyes I no longer bother with them. Bam-Bams are actually a good 'weather coral' because they lose their intense orange if nutrients start getting too high.

OP
OP
F

FloridaMicroReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger palys like gobstoppers, green implosions, etc., are some of the hardiest corals you can get. However, smaller designer zoas can be incredibly fickle and not tolerate water nutrient changes without melting, get run over by feather dusters, minor nuisance algae, etc. I have a colony of teal rings and red hornets that grew like crazy, then lost all their color and stopped growing when I added a fuge and lowered nitrate levels. Meanwhile my gobstopper, purple deaths and others are growing like mad. I have SPS like blue digipora that will tolerate wider param swings than some designer zoas.

Larger palys can take nutrients from the water like zoo plankton, reef roids, etc. They can adapt to different nutrient conditions while smaller zoas respond in the wild via large die-offs and then growing back. Besides hardier zoas like bams and dragon eyes I no longer bother with them. Bam-Bams are actually a good 'weather coral' because they lose their intense orange if nutrients start getting too high.
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely keep an eye out for Gobstoppers palys, and the Dragon eyes zoas, and Purple Death Palys, and Toxic Green Palys.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the palys that I have. They went from about 5 polyps to covering a 7" long and 5" high rock in a few months.

Attachments

• palys.jpg
    palys.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 52

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True Palys are an unstoppable weed. "Palys" like Nirvanas, pandoras, purple monsters, etc. aren't really Palys, but do tend to be on the hardier size.

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away for Nirvana and Pandora’s unless they are on their own rock, They will take over a tank.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one true paly which is Captain Jerk and they are BY FAR the fastest growing coral in my tank and are a god dang tank. I'm going through a dino outbreak and all of my zoas close up (until I manually remove the dinos off of them). The captain jerks catch the dinos with their skirt but remain open. Seriously nothing can stop these guys.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back