Are plastic containers bad for water storage? (BPA leaching)

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use those 5gal jugs that come from water coolers in offices, etc., to store RO water, and was wondering if there is a concern about the plastic leaching BPA into the water. I read that temperature plays a part in the leaching, and I keep these stored in the basement, but is there a need to be concerned that the RO water is getting some form of contamination over time from these jugs? The water isn't sitting in there for long, about a week, when I mix it up for a water change

Thanks!

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I trust Poland Spring uses good grade? I dont know if I even trust their water...

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I trust Poland Spring uses good grade? I dont know if I even trust their water...

I couldn’t say, but I would assume a water container has to be.

Check on the bottom of the container it should have a plastic code. Search that online and it will tell you

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HDPE-2-safe-for-food.jpg

Look for one of these symbols in the plastic, if it has it, it's food grade and will not leach :)

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that if you're turning the water inventory over frequently, they actual impact is minimal or even negligible. Also, activated carbon in electrolytic solutions will absorb BPA. BPA also has a short half-life in aqueous systems.

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that if you're turning the water inventory over frequently, they actual impact is minimal or even negligible. Also, activated carbon in electrolytic solutions will absorb BPA. BPA also has a short half-life in aqueous systems.
Yea the water never sits for an extended period of time, the turnover is frequent for water changes. Thanks for the response !

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back