RODI Filtration - Is it really healthy?

SoFlo Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I replaced all of the filters in my RODI unit. We use this unit as a combination drinking water/reef system and looking at the filters got me thinking. Is RO water really that much healthier than tap water?

I live in South Florida, and our tap water is 40-50 TDS, which is quite low. I do, however, know that it contains fluoride and chloramines, along with other things that are probably not ideal to drink. Our water comes from an aquifer, but reading the description of our water treatment process it actually sounds like RO filtration is used, then things are added back in to make it potable.

Looking at the filters, though, it occurred to me that they are all made of plastic, as are the housings, the bladder the water is stored in etc. I have been trying to cut back on the use of plastics particularly in things that we eat/drink from given the number of toxic chemicals they can leach. I am curious if anyone has looked into these risks with regard to RO systems? Are we removing some harmful things from our water just to put other toxic chemicals in their place? I believe most of these compounds leached from plastic wouldn’t appear as TDS, so even though our water shows as 2 TDS out of the RO system isn’t it possible that it has other harmful things in it from the filters themselves?

I remember reading somewhere that part of the purpose of the post carbon inline filter was to remove the taste added by storing the water in the tank. The article suggested that the slightly below neutral pH of the RO water could in some way break down or cause the bladder within the storage tank to release something that would impact the taste of the water. Whether that is true or not I have no idea, but if so I can’t imagine that is healthy.

There was a study that came out recently showing the huge amount of plastic particles in water from plastic water bottles. Would this not be the same?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all plastic has toxins in it - there are plenty of food-safe plastics.

If you are worried about microplastics, then what makes you think that the tap water would not have any either?

You are supposed to throw out the first X number of gallons when you change your filters. I forgot the number, but I do at least 20.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are supposed to throw out the first X number of gallons when you change your filters. I forgot the number, but I do at least 20.
Might be true, but I’ve never done that in the past few decades!

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get sediment and carbon filter for drinking water to take care of chlorine. Floride is fine to consume and excess amounts will be filtered out in this process.

If you don't have a stage after RO (and DI if you plan to run that on drinking as well) to reintroduce minerals into the water, its better to just not run rodi in a lot of cases for human consumption.

RoDI water isn't necessarily bad for you, but its not a benefit if you are stripping all minerals. I would check your water reports, and maaaybe test your water in your home before bothering to rodi it. However, if money is not something you will ever run out of, its not a bad move to make the composition of your drinking water what you want it to be.

I've heard nuclear waste in ground water is going to be an issue for florida in the near future, but I am not sure if that's true.

If money is something you don't have a ton of, I would check it to make sure the carbon will be enough and run that. We use a brs carbon and sediment filter on our tap because the chlorine is high and we have radium in the wells here from over drainage (thanks nestle). Chlorine isn't too bad for you, but better for the long term to reduce consumption of.

OP
OP
SoFlo Reef

SoFlo Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m aware there are lots of plastics that are considered “food safe,” although from what I understand the approach has kind of been an innocent until proven guilty policy. There are plenty of plastics that are considered food safe that produce microplastics or leach things that are probably detrimental to our health.

For example, many food containers, particularly for takeout are covered in PFAS, which have a mountain of evidence proving their health implications. These are still used every day and considered to be safe.

Regarding tap water, it certainly might. I guess the question is whether what is already in the water coming from the tap is worse than what is in it after the RO. It may very well be a question not really worth considering, just something I was curious about.

I do discard the water after changing filters. I actually tested the water coming from the tank immediately after changing the filters last night and it was 63 TDS - about 50% higher than water straight from the tap. It took 3 or 4 flushed of the tank to come back down below 10.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read some articles about that, it seems to be a debated topic, but I am on the side that tap water is healthier for us than rodi water. Stuff is added to tap water that is beneficial to our bodies, rodi water is too clean. (EDIT: I live in an area with top quality tap water )

And sorry but rodi water also taste so flavorless and its just not satisfying to drink a glass of rodi water.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read some articles about that, it seems to be a debated topic, but I am on the side that tap water is healthier for us than rodi water. Stuff is added to tap water that is beneficial to our bodies, rodi water is too clean. (EDIT: I live in an area with top quality tap water )

And sorry but rodi water also taste so flavorless and its just not satisfying to drink a glass of rodi water.
I pretty much agree with this, the only thing I would aside is, removing the chlorine is a benefit, also, if you are like a majority of the US getting some of the lead and some of the other elements carbon can remove is a good move.

I've heard it recomended more recently that the chlorine may be an issue in long term consumption, and not being beneficial after the water is delivered from the faucet, but I have seen no evidence to back that up yet.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I only drink Monster energy drinks, water is just too unsafe - better to be sure :face-with-tears-of-joy:

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise you to research the effects of drinking RO water long term. Pure water (0 or close to) will agrresively bind to minerals. Your body needs minerals, and I don't mean yeah it's good to have minerals.. it would shut down without them. Drinking RO daily...not good. but you do you.

Your water Bureau is mandated by law to supply water test results. The chemical that your looking for would likely be labeled PFAS.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SoFlo Reef

SoFlo Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, we drink RO water, not RODI. Only the water that is used for the tank passes through the DI stage.

I appreciate all the responses, this was more just a question of curiosity regarding the materials used in RO units. I don’t plan on changing anything I’m doing, just wondering if anyone else has considered this or questioned the safety of those materials.

I just don’t love the thought of our drinking water being stored in a plastic bladder probably produced in China, that may or may not be leaching things into the water that impact its taste. Maybe it’s not worth thinking about, I’m just not sure how much we know about the materials in use with regards to their safety long term.

Regarding drinking RO water long term, I have heard mixed opinions. I tend to think the small amount of minerals you would get from water can be more than made up for with a good diet, but who knows.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ship has sailed on these concerns, at least for the lifetime of most of us here. Many of our water sources are quite polluted, and require filtration for human consumption. At least in populated areas. It is likely many plastics are used in whatever system your municipality uses for water purification to begin with. For our aquariums there isn't really another choice, outside of distilled water or natural seawater. The purity of natural seawater you pull from the shore is going to be pretty bad most likely.

For human consumption... we can only really play what small role we each play when we vote, and with whatever activism we choose to participate in. If the health of our planet ever recovers, it will be a process that will likely span many hundreds of years. Humans are slow to change, especially if change involves hurting the bottom line of those in power. I share your concerns, but I see it as an issue that won't be close to solved for many, many generations, and an issue that has few practical solutions for the majority of the populace, regarding plastics.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back