RODI shut off valve doesnt work, on 2 systems

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two RO systems that need to but shut of when not using

The top one is for first floor drinking water. Once the 3 gallon pressurized container is filled I have to shut of the main feed as well as the drain.

The aquarium system same thing. However I don't mind for the aquarium since I don't have a auto shut off for booster pump.

I strange thing is the new ro system shut of valve was working in my mom's house, which has 70psi. My house psi is 45 psi with the booster pump. Never had these issues before and having it on 2 systems in my house raises suspicion. I opened one shut of valve and nothing seems to be broken. It's just works of suction.

20240302_103726.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically once containers are filled the shut of valve doesn't work and water keeps going down the drain. If I didn't have this drain going into the sink I may have overlooked this.

Any ideas

1000033874.jpg

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are they hydronamic shut off valves installed correctly?

Feed water through the top. Drinking (or good tank water through the bottom).

These valves function by flowing the water through a curled rubber membrane (sometimes just a . When the drinking water container is full, it back pressures that membrane pushing it in towards the feed water side closing it.
1000001571.jpg

If it is installed correctly, then the rubber membrane inside has failed. They can. In that case replace it. They're like 10 bucks.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they hydronamic shut off valves installed correctly?

Feed water through the top. Drinking (or good tank water through the bottom).

These valves function by flowing the water through a curled rubber membrane (sometimes just a . When the drinking water container is full, it back pressures that membrane pushing it in towards the feed water side closing it.
1000001571.jpg

If it is installed correctly, then the rubber membrane inside has failed. They can. In that case replace it. They're like 10 bucks.
I checked many times to rule out possibility of it being installed wrong. I strongly believe that its something else since it is happening to two systems. I may just have to purchase a shut of valve. I remember I through out an old RODi and just saved the first 3 chambers, never thinking I could have used this shut of valve which was 1 year old.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many years ago I had an RO system that was doing something similar. When I took that valve apart I found the rubber wall was very calcified. So it wasn't flexing like it needed to.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only think that could cause this is a shut of valve not closing properly. Just coincidence it's happening to 2 right?
I wonder how many ppl are wasting water and not even aware. Crazy these ro units are 7 years old and another 2 years old

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way I caught it on my newly installed rodi is I have it draining to the sink for now before fixing it to a drain. Which would've been impossible to detect.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a correctly plumbed ASOV isn't working, 99 times out of a 100 it is one of these three causes:
1. valve(s) on the outlets (e.g., faucet, float valve) are leaking
2. check valve is not sealing 100%
3. asov is bad (typically a problem with that internal rubber seal)

Russ

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only way I caught it on my newly installed rodi is I have it draining to the sink for now before fixing it to a drain. Which would've been impossible to detect.
Not impossible, that water bill would have told you.

I guess like others have said. If it were me I would install a check valve on the supply side or replace the float valve and replace the auto shut off valve. You're looking at about $25 in plastic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back