Are quality Metal Halide fixtures and bulbs still available?

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The M80's over drive the 250 watt bulb to 335 if I recall from my Killawatt meter. With those I would change every 8 mos because I had so many frags they paid for themselves. Also the year is recommended if you are driving them at standard wattage with an electric ballast.
They don't really overdrive, the remaining wattage is lost in the form of heat within the M80. Just feel it.....

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to find much info about the blv bulbs. I know ushio owns blv but haven’t seen any photos or video footage to compare to the radium.

here's a good video on there new venture...

BLV GmbH is it's own company they started the aquarium halide bulbs starting with the 10k, Ushio joined with them to make there bulbs and others.They produce most of the lighting in public aquariums throughout Europe and Asia and now produce a new LED fixture for public aquariums and larger private.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
here's a good video on there new venture...

BLV GmbH is it's own company they started the aquarium halide bulbs starting with the 10k, Ushio joined with them to make there bulbs and others.They produce most of the lighting in public aquariums throughout Europe and Asia and now produce a new LED fixture for public aquariums and larger private.

Cool to see! Thanks for sharing these

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an old dual blue ballast, blue line or blue wave or something I forget the brand, but it lost a ton of par on one side and some on the other. It was 8 years old and I just chucked it. New radium bulbs only gave me like 220 par near the top on the bad side and 280 on the better side. Not sure about other magnetic ballasts but this one defiantly didn’t last.

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting about the BLV halides. They are claiming 100,000 hour lifespan that is greater than 3 years @ 8 hr per day
BLV makes Giesemann, Aquamedic,Ushio and others MH bulbs, they specialize in MH bulbs and invented the 10k ,14k,20k bulb.They have biologist that work with there R&D of there lamps and supply public Aquarium lighting across the globe.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't really overdrive, the remaining wattage is lost in the form of heat within the M80. Just feel it.....

That is not true. There is more heat because there is more wattage, but they get more wattage to the bulbs too. Real HQI will get about 335w at the bulb... some ballasts are around 3 amps. This is why the output is so much more than regular 250w stuff.

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 are great but your tank will look soooooo much better with halides. T5 lighting is just very very flat. Halide and t5 is a win win.. unless you live somewhere hot.
I live somewhere hot. AZ to be exact and halides are no issues.

Last edited:

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live somewhere hot. AZ to be exact and halides are no issues.
thats why we got these for....

thumbnail_privatevarmobileContainersDataApplication0EF99E87-717E-430D-B7E0-7B7C99C08381tmp88A0...jpg

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh...more money! :)
While a chiller is nice, they are not necessary. I have halides in an open top tank, and I keep my tank temp at 79-80 in the summer with fans. My house temp is 78 in the summer. In the winter when I keep my house at 74, I need heaters to keep my tank above 78.

No issues with SPS at 79-80 at all. They might even grow better. When I go diving in Bali, Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines, the water feels really warm.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back