Are Red Sea Reefers... really worth it...?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see Red Sea has released a new Reefer - the Reefer S...

Its main new features seem to be a Euro-braced top (you can still see the water level though) and a sliding side panel to attach your equipment modules to...

But these prices...

The 71" is $5,300 alone - when you add the lights it becomes $7,500 - and when adding the protein skimmer and wave pumps it comes out to $8,500.

And from what I have been told (by more than one retailer) the margin for profit on these Red Sea setups is scarily thin - so retailer deals are pretty much unheard of.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really depends on the person. Beautiful well built tanks. For me i have a budget and my biggest enjoyment is growing coral and not necessarily the most beautiful setup. I would spend that $5 grand on a used tank for a fraction of the cost and a bunch of coral and still have some left for a frag tank or two.

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you're looking for.

Gotta have some some honda civics, some kia souls, some ford pickup trucks, some suburu sti's, some mazaratis, some lamborghinis...

Personally, I run planet aquariums for the 210 main display. Build quality is slightly above average. Features are decent. Low iron glass and nice seams. I guess im running between a ford pickup and a suburu - but then you have to rice that badboy out with mods and equipment

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a wall mounted tank and don't think I could ever go with a traditional stand after having it. I built my entire 90 gallon reef setup for under $1000 with no used equipment.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Worth it” is a relative term. Depends on person, circumstances, and budget. My wife “allowed” me to put Red Sea Reefer in the living room because of the clean look and I could hide all the equipment in the stand.

Also, people are upgrading or leaving the hobby all the time. I bought a 2 year old RSR 425 XL for 50% of original price and included return pump, UV light, mesh/acrylic lid, etc.

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run away sir. Don't look back.

The back pane blowout was proven to be a false claim and so was another. But you read it on the internet so it must be true I love my Red Sea and would buy nothing else. Worth every penny.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been happy with the two I have. Zero issues. Of course all my other tanks have been no name types and they never had a problem either. For me it was that I could get an entire package. I trusted that they designed everything to work seamlessly together.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run away sir. Don't look back.

@Doostur Red Sea has completely revamped their stands and tanks. The new S line has an Aluminum stand and the other tank stand have new bracing. The tanks themselves have improved silicone, (45degree angle), in every seam. So before you knock the new tanks, you should do a little research.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the look and can afford it, they are gorgeous tanks. They are also expensive and not every one can afford one. I have had numerous tanks over the last nearly 40 years. Some discount brands that held up fine and some that leaked. And plenty of "name brand" tanks that looked great. Get whatever works for your budget and design.

I currently have two Redsea tanks- a 625xxl I bought new for $2800, and a 750xxl I bought used for $1500.

There will always be some clown who thinks they're clever bringing up an old, long resolved, issue. Anyone who still has the old stand (source of the problem) without the retrofit brace is either living in a closet, or just wants to push their luck. The retrofit kit is free from Redsea. The new stands have been out for quite a while.

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Doostur Red Sea has completely revamped their stands and tanks. The new S line has an Aluminum stand and the other tank stand have new bracing. The tanks themselves have improved silicone, (45degree angle), in every seam. So before you knock the new tanks, you should do a little research.

Read it all. The fact that they began releasing bigger tanks before addressing current failures concerns me. And that they had to be called out before they began to address current issues is somewhat shady. Once I lose faith in a company, its hard to earn my trust again.

Talk to some members who actually had issues. Ask them how things went and their experience. They will explain the battle. Its just a warning. Take it for what its worth.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Red Sea tanks are pretty cheap. They are in a mid area between low end and high end. Aqueon is available if you want super cheap . Custom is an option if you want expensive. Red Sea, Waterbox, Innovative Marine, SCA, etc are somewhere in the middle. They all make nice tanks with good quality glass that is likely to hold up for many years.

Last edited:

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You missed the main feature of the S, it is the aluminum frame instead of wood. Waterbox is close to them but Red Sea seems to be slightly cheaper at $23.55/gal and Waterbox LX at $24/gal.
I see Red Sea has released a new Reefer - the Reefer S...

Its main new features seem to be a Euro-braced top (you can still see the water level though) and a sliding side panel to attach your equipment modules to...

But these prices...

The 71" is $5,300 alone - when you add the lights it becomes $7,500 - and when adding the protein skimmer and wave pumps it comes out to $8,500.

And from what I have been told (by more than one retailer) the margin for profit on these Red Sea setups is scarily thin - so retailer deals are pretty much unheard of.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea makes some of the best tanks in the industry. Your can customize the Reefer series or go for full set up with their Max or Reefer S-series. It depends on what you like and how much is your budget.

I own a Max S-500 and I can tell you the next time I’ll buy a tank it will be Red Sea.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read it all. The fact that they began releasing bigger tanks before addressing current failures concerns me. And that they had to be called out before they began to address current issues is somewhat shady. Once I lose faith in a company, its hard to earn my trust again.

Talk to some members who actually had issues. Ask them how things went and their experience. They will explain the battle. Its just a warning. Take it for what its worth.
What are you talking about? The fix has been out for ages. There is no "current issue". You're just rehashing old garbage that you heard from someone else.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back