Are sump Refugiums supposed to "overflow" into the next chamber?

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I own a Waterbox Aquarium 190g. I recently setup a refugium in the chamber of the sump that is designed to hold one (see pic below). However, after about a day I noticed that most of my macroalgae is stuck to the grated opening that flows into the next chamber containing my skimmer. As a result, the water is barely flowing through the grate anymore and instead is overflowing into the next chamber.

I have not noticed any direct problems from this situation yet, but it is enough for me to come here and ask the experts whether or not this is normal. Also, has anyone else experienced something similar and found a way for the grate to not get clogged up?

1626804347663.png

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't hurt anything... but keeping macro algae contained can be problematic.

I use Aquamesh to cover slotted overflows. Extra course, 1" thick, nice and stiff. Works great to keep macro where you want it.

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I came home yesterday to discover that only about 25% of my macroalgae remains and that my skimmer stopped working. Most likely what happened is that the macro overflowed into the skimmer chamber and clogged up the skimmer.

With this situation now being an actual problem, I would really like to ask the community how they have managed to setup a refugium in a sump without these issues?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see a short video of the sump running...

What's the flow rate through that sump?

Again, a sheet of Aquamesh fitted over the slots, perhaps extending a bit above, may well solve your issue. The stuff is stiff, if you cut it to the right dimensions, you can just 'press' it into the location you want it, and it'll stay.

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am trying to visualize an aquamesh solution. In my head, I am imagining the macro building up against the aquamesh instead and eventually over the top of it into the skimmer chamber. I assume that does not happen since it works in your setup, but would you mind showing/explaining to me why?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamesh is thick and course. You put a sheet of it over the 'wall' separating compartments, water flows through the whole 1.5" thick sheet, not just where the slots are. Dissipates the flow by spreading it over a larger area... make sense?

In my case, my BashSea sump has a large hole in the middle of the dividing wall, meant to be adjustable via a sliding acrylic plate. Made it impossible to contain the chaetomorpha in the refugeum compartment.

I removed that plate, and covered the entire wall with a sheet of Aquamesh. Haven't had any issues since. I do have to rinse the sheet of Aquamesh when I prune my Chatomorpha... about every 3 months.

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that does make sense. Thank you for explaining. So far I have blown about $150 getting macro from algaebarn only for it to fail for this reason. I hope this solution works. It sounds like it should.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that does make sense. Thank you for explaining. So far I have blown about $150 getting macro from algaebarn only for it to fail for this reason. I hope this solution works. It sounds like it should.
Where are you located? Maybe I can ship you some... I've been throwing chaetomorpha away every quarter. Nobody around here wants it.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? Maybe I can ship you some... I've been throwing chaetomorpha away every quarter. Nobody around here wants it.
Would like a picture of your sump since I am also running a Bashsea sump with refugium in the first chamber. What do you have in the area before the return sump, that is if we have a similar sump. Sorry for the hi-jack.

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I appreciate the offer but I am trying to be extra careful about preventing unwanted pests getting into my tank. I am currently bristle worm free. The only pest I have are those darn Vermetid snails that no one seems to be able to get rid of efficiently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife made a suggestion that I thought was worth proposing in here to get some feedback. She is suggesting that I put the macro in a nylon bag similar to those used to protect fruits and veggies. Has anyone tried this? I figure this idea might be a good Plan B if the aquamesh solution does not work for some reason.

Here is a link to the bags.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about a bag, however my friend uses a large plastic basket found at a dollar store, allows the water to pass through which is needed and keeps it all in once place.

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about a bag, however my friend uses a large plastic basket found at a dollar store, allows the water to pass through which is needed and keeps it all in once place.

Does your friend ever experience issues due to the basket blocking some of the light?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife made a suggestion that I thought was worth proposing in here to get some feedback. She is suggesting that I put the macro in a nylon bag similar to those used to protect fruits and veggies. Has anyone tried this? I figure this idea might be a good Plan B if the aquamesh solution does not work for some reason.

Here is a link to the bags.

I haven't set mine up yet but I'm going to use one of those little mesh fish fry baskets from petco its open on the too and good size for the chamber.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the basket is narrow at the bottom and wide at the top, seems to grow really good. I only set up my refugium last night, just dropped a few softball pieces of Chaeto in and connected the light.

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used clear quart berry box with a small piece of rubble to hold it down until the chunk of macro grows bigger and won’t jam up the overflow. It’s worth a try.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have that exact sump, but one of similar refugium design and the way I solved the grate issue you are having was by attaching a small Koralia below the grate. Keeps the chaeto away from the grate and also tumbling.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like a picture of your sump since I am also running a Bashsea sump with refugium in the first chamber. What do you have in the area before the return sump, that is if we have a similar sump. Sorry for the hi-jack.
Sorry, kinda difficult...

My sump is in a 'sump closet'... and though access is fairly easy, photographing it isn't...

Bashsea Smart 3618. 1st compartment, I've pulled the sox out, it's a refugeum only. Pulled the adjustable overflow plate out, fitted a sheet of course black Aquamesh to the entire dividing wall.

Compartment before the sump, which actually came with 4 pieces of aquamesh in it... I have 1 piece of aquamesh, against the outflow wall to the pump. I filled the rest of the compartment with live rock rubble.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the offer but I am trying to be extra careful about preventing unwanted pests getting into my tank. I am currently bristle worm free. The only pest I have are those darn Vermetid snails that no one seems to be able to get rid of efficiently.
Understood...

I don't consider bristle worms a pest, I actively introduce them to any new tank I start, as a valued member of the clean up crew. I realize some people disagree with me on that.

I do, however, have Aiptasia, which most certainly IS a pest. Never seen any in my refugeum, but you know, that doesn't mean much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back