Are sumps required when using an ATO?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oceansize
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Oceansize

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
485
Reaction score
230
Location
Costa Mesa, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm replacing evaporated water frequently enough that I'm convinced of the advantage of using an ATO unit & reservoir.

But every mention I've seen of one seems to imply that they are always paired with a sump. Does that mean an ATO cannot be made to work in a sump-less system?
 
Certainly not. You can use and ATO directly on the DT......just need some way to hide it or make it look pretty. If you have a canopy, that would take care of hiding it.
 
There are several small electronic a to options that are inconspicuous enough for a dt.
 
I know from visiting my LFS that Hydor makes a high-quality one, but I don't know if it would be considered small & inconspicuous.
 
I have both tunze 3152 and 3155 on a couple tanks that do not have sumps just 5gl containers for the top off. Containers can be hidden behind or in the stand. If you are considering adding kalk reactor into the mix consider going with the 3155 as it has a flow control option inside the controller.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new