Are swimming hydroids bad?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is extremely hard to get a picture or video of these because they are so tiny so I am not even going to bother attaching one. I have only seen one in my tank. It is a hydroid but it just hangs out on the glass and swims like a jellyfish if I push it off of the glass. Will this be harmful to my tank? I've been trying to catch it, but no luck yet.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I'd definitely net and discard any you find.

My one experience was with 30 day QT of a ball of chaeto from eBay.
Found a bunch in the QT only days AFTER I had already moved the chaeto into DT (((just when I was finally breaking down QT))).

*luckily never saw any in DT but I was scared for a while

lopez052308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they look like this?

73D67272-F127-40F5-89DE-7B39C5E3F6EA.png A805F01D-AD25-4648-A2BA-66D8DF31E6E2.jpeg

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I'd definitely net and discard any you find.

My one experience was with 30 day QT of a ball of chaeto from eBay.
Found a bunch in the QT only days AFTER I had already moved the chaeto into DT (((just when I was finally breaking down QT))).

*luckily never saw any in DT but I was scared for a while
im trying to but I keep losing it lol. I'll keep trying though! Glad your situation worked out, that sounds stressful lol

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F83180D4-B9C5-4AB8-9E9A-523E1D0FCA17.jpeg

Like these?

hydroid medusa. I know me and @lopez052308 have them and have discussed our findings before.

I still have them but they seem to be declining in number. In this stage, from my experience, they aren’t hurting anything. I have read that there are thousands of types of hydroids and not all are harmful but some definitely are.

monitor and report back here what you find. Most likely just a benign hitchhiker/filter feeder. They will likely disappear over time. IMO.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like these?

hydroid medusa. I know me and @lopez052308 have them and have discussed our findings before.

I still have them but they seem to be declining in number. In this stage, from my experience, they aren’t hurting anything. I have read that there are thousands of types of hydroids and not all are harmful but some definitely are.

monitor and report back here what you find. Most likely just a benign hitchhiker/filter feeder. They will likely disappear over time. IMO.
Yes exactly like that. I would get a picture but my phone can never focus in it singe it’s tiny. I think I have 2 of them but right now I can’t find either. I’ll try to get a pic soon! I have a vid but for some reason I haven’t been able to post any on here in the last few days

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like these?

Here is mine after I knocked it off the glass (sorry it is so hard to focus on it since it's tiny):

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes exactly like that. I would get a picture but my phone can never focus in it singe it’s tiny. I think I have 2 of them but right now I can’t find either. I’ll try to get a pic soon! I have a vid but for some reason I haven’t been able to post any on here in the last few days
Yup! I had the same difficulty getting them to focus so I use this same picture every time I refer to them haha
You have only seen 2 of them? I think you could eradicate them with manual removal like other suggested. A credit card smush against the glass should do the trick. Finding them could be difficult as they live on the sandbed as well as glass, we just can’t see them on sand. I have thousands so I’ve learned to live with them. Is your tank new like mine? They seem to populate out of nowhere in early aquariums and then go away when the tank establishes a more mature biome. Mine are losing numbers quickly now coming out of the “ugly phase”

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! I had the same difficulty getting them to focus so I use this same picture every time I refer to them haha
You have only seen 2 of them? I think you could eradicate them with manual removal like other suggested. A credit card smush against the glass should do the trick. Finding them could be difficult as they live on the sandbed as well as glass, we just can’t see them on sand. I have thousands so I’ve learned to live with them. Is your tank new like mine? They seem to populate out of nowhere in early aquariums and then go away when the tank establishes a more mature biome. Mine are losing numbers quickly now coming out of the “ugly phase”
I've only seen one, maybe two. My tank is 6 months old. I added new frags the other day so I'm assuming they survived the dip lol. I can't find them right now but I'll give that a try! Thank you:)

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
these just started popping up on my glass as well. They come and go with newer tanks, just the tank biology maturing and diversifying.
374E5445-3B24-4B95-B209-4C2A6888C642.jpeg
3DEB120E-6702-4389-ABBF-4FE9BC337A04.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back