Are the red sea reef led 50 good?

Guss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys need to get new led light cuz the lights I have are horrible.i got super cheap ones from aliexpress and feel I need to upgrade. I need something cheap but reliable. I was checking out red sea led 50 I found them in a reasonable price I think. Any thoughts if they good or if there is another alternative that's better in same price range or what do u guys recommend a good reef led on low budget .ty

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are similar to an AI prime in terms of power and spread but have a greater focus on the mixed blue channel. Very narrow spectrum but I think they provide a pretty color especially with white and blue at 100%. They also have a very uniform spread.

OP
OP
Guss

Guss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are similar to an AI prime in terms of power and spread but have a greater focus on the mixed blue channel. Very narrow spectrum but I think they provide a pretty color especially with white and blue at 100%. They also have a very uniform spread.
Actually turned out to be too expensive for now the red sea price was wrong :( any recommendations to a good low budget led reef light

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my view, they show the similar performance on data as blackboxes ...
These are the PAR and spectrum of Red Sea 90 from BRS test
Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 15.57.47.png

Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 15.54.08.png

These are those from VIPARSPECTRA blackbox
Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 15.58.04.png

Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 15.56.12.png

The spectrum is so narrow that I'm not convinced it would be a more optimized that way. Spread is also quite close if you can mount the blackbox 20" above water. The Red Sea LED does have better build quality and app control though. You can find many videos the checkout its app control to see if you like it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually turned out to be too expensive for now the red sea price was wrong :( any recommendations to a good low budget led reef light

Guss' last post on this thread was 3 months ago, so he's probably figured it out by now.

But if he hasn't...In the 200 dollar range are the Red Sea 50, AI prime, and Kessil 160. Slightly less expensive, and probably better, would be a Noopsyche.

Cheaper than that, the only option for a new light would be a black box type LED. I wouldn't buy used LEDs, but a used MH or T5 fixture can sometimes be found on the cheap.

OP
OP
Guss

Guss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guss' last post on this thread was 3 months ago, so he's probably figured it out by now.

But if he hasn't...In the 200 dollar range are the Red Sea 50, AI prime, and Kessil 160. Slightly less expensive, and probably better, would be a Noopsyche.

Cheaper than that, the only option for a new light would be a black box type LED. I wouldn't buy used LEDs, but a used MH or T5 fixture can sometimes be found on the cheap.
I got popbloom tunning 30 from aliexpress. I heard good stuff about it and the price was good also is less then 200$

OP
OP
Guss

Guss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t get a light that is used, but that is your choice. What size tank is it?
Hello sorry for late reply. I have a 15 gallon but upgrading it soon . I got a good light I think and from popbloom tunning 30.saw good reviews on it also on reef 2reef

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these with my old Red Sea AIO, and my impressions are very mixed. They're easy to set up and quiet. Look good above the tank and have decent distribution. The app is good for initial setup, but it occasionally loses wifi connectivity and frustrating to tweak settings. The shimmer is VERY strong, which you might love or hate. The sunrise/sunset and moonlight features are sweet; loved having the moonlights on late at night to fall asleep to (it was in my room).

But the main issue is that they're blue. Really, really blue. Anything that doesn't flouresce is either blue or black. That means you're losing a ton of interesting colors from many corals (most of my Zoas were brown), not to mention fish/inverts which don't really fluoresce at all. It also makes photography harder unless you have a filter.

Last edited:

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest popbloom Turing RS90. the advantage
* the max brighness is higher 80%. infact it is same sprectrum as Reedled 90 when the channel 4 is turn off.
* add cyan blue in channel4. Cyan blue not only compensate the 400-510nm spectrum, but also make the tank looks more nice. ( kelvin is higher).
* hangway in standard. mounter way is option.

The disavantage is no wifi, program the light by controller.

Attachments

• 0.主图.jpg
    0.主图.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 346
  • 背面新.jpg
    背面新.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 109

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
max 5 pcs light connected to 1 controller

Attachments

• 6.一控多.jpg
    6.一控多.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 108
  • 5.优点新.jpg
    5.优点新.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 110

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the mount arm is compatiable with Redsea light. it means
your old redsea mount arm can work well with the Turing RS90 or the Jobs (PopBloom name the mount arm) can work well with the Reefled.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 171

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the most cool is that Jobs support the light turn 15,30 degree. which is very usefull for a big tank. there is no limite that the light have to in the middle of the tank.

Attachments

• 细节.gif
    细节.gif
    74.7 KB · Views: 184

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Oliver@DSunY , dont want to hijack the thread, but I am interested to try this new led (RS90), but I dont see any review anywhere. Do you have actual pictures of the light on a reef tank? side by side with another light would be even better. I would need 4 of them (72x24x24 mixed reef) but I am kind of nervous spending that kind of money without 3rd party review.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Oliver@DSunY , dont want to hijack the thread, but I am interested to try this new led (RS90), but I dont see any review anywhere. Do you have actual pictures of the light on a reef tank? side by side with another light would be even better. I would need 4 of them (72x24x24 mixed reef) but I am kind of nervous spending that kind of money without 3rd party review.
Yes, I completely understand that.

This is a review of the RS 90. Please it is really a indepentent 3th party review.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back