Are there any negatives of having a lot of blue in your lights

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two bulbs would be fine , four is acros and clam on the sand territory.
IMO.

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mostly on the blue spectrum also ramping from full blue in the morning to mixed and then back to blue in evening. I have had my best success with color and growth doing it this way for past 3 years.

I run kessil lights which makes the adjustment idiot proof other then picking the right intensity they have taken the guess work out of mixing the correct spectrum.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for all the information lots of the fixtures you mentioned I most likely won’t be able to get as I live in Australia and only the bigger brands get shipped over but I will look into t5 fixtures how many bulbs do you guys recommend for a tank that is 3 foot long 2 foot high 1.5 foot back and the lights are 1 foot above the water
4-6 bulbs

mkj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of changing the settings on my lights so at night time I had the blue at max and I was just wondering if there are any negatives of doing that

for you or the fish? For fish: why would you do this?

For us: Blue/Ultraviolet LEDs are bad for the human eye. There has been talk about TV/monitor companies having to reduce or take out completely these wavelengths. People are going to need to start wearing those giant sunglasses earlier in life because of all the blue LEDs in everything nowadays. Will make our TVs look like crap though. Blue light penetrates our eyes deeper than other light just like in the ocean and makes things seem brighter and is why it's more damaging to us.

This is a topic an eye doctor can explain better than I but has been discussed on a few reef forums.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For us: Blue/Ultraviolet LEDs are bad for the human eye. There has been talk about TV/monitor companies having to reduce or take out completely these wavelengths. People are going to need to start wearing those giant sunglasses earlier in life because of all the blue LEDs in everything nowadays. Will make our TVs look like crap though. Blue light penetrates our eyes deeper than other light just like in the ocean and makes things seem brighter and is why it's more damaging to us.

This is a topic an eye doctor can explain better than I but has been discussed on a few reef forums.
I better go see a doctor.

82128DBE-9539-4F48-8D6C-F00D335F1391.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
A

Average joe the reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could I have blues on for one or two hours at night

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It doesn’t penetrate deeper, but human vision doesn’t consider the very high energy blue wavelengths as being very bright, so the pupil lets more than other wavelengths, such as green, in for a given amount of power. We also don’t avert our eyes in the same way until you burn spots in your retina :). Sunlight isn’t a problem as the green produces the correct light aversion and pupil response.

As for blue in devices, it’s inevitable for any display device and any phosphor device such as white LEDs.

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some really expensive eels and I without a doubt noticed that the blue night light keeps them from squirming out is it bad to always have a blue moon light running at night?

OP
OP
A

Average joe the reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some really expensive eels and I without a doubt noticed that the blue night light keeps them from squirming out is it bad to always have a blue moon light running at night?

I just bought some AI primes and I am wondering the same thing myself. At the moment I am running lunar mode at nighttime with royal blue on 2% and blue on 3%

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering since the new kessils have a in spectrum if it will aid in killing Protozoans

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering since the new kessils have a in spectrum if it will aid in killing Protozoans

No.

Germicidal UV is at a much higher energy and shorter wavelength (260-270nm is ideal). If you're dumping high energy UV-C in your tank you will have many problems, and also should not look at the emitters with the naked eye.

OP
OP
A

Average joe the reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

Germicidal UV is at a much higher energy and shorter wavelength (260-270nm is ideal). If you're dumping high energy UV-C in your tank you will have many problems, and also should not look at the emitters with the naked eye.

I’m screwed then because my tank is in my bedroom and when I am on my bed i can look straight into the lights
9906a685de19a19f0ca32a143b258db0.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back