Blue light not working Wills Aquarium Light

Bucky241

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 165 watt Wills Aquarium Light that I bought off someone. He said that it was only used for a couple of months. I brought it home and tested it, it worked normally. Today I decided to plug it in and test it again before setting up my tank and I noticed that the blue light, at first, took a while to turn on and it wasn't that bright. Soon after it dimmed down and turned off while the dial was still all the way up, adjusting the intensity didn't change anything. I took apart the light and looked for any disconnected wires or pin connectors and they were all fine. However I noticed that when I opened the light and tilted the back panel all the LEDS would be turned on but VERY dim, this happened regardless of where the dial was set to that. It is shown in two images, one in the dark and one with the lights on to show when I had the lid back. There are maybe one or two male ended pin connectors that do not have a mate and they seemed to not affect the lights at all. I tried switching them back and forth and even just having them unplugged and the white lights would work regardless. If there is anything yall can do to point me in the right direction I'd very much appreciate it! If you have stuck with me this far thank you very much! 20240410_225909.jpg
20240410_225932.jpg
20240410_225927.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand your post the white channel works with both drivers. That would eliminate the drivers as the problem. It also should eliminate the fans as the problem as well. So the problem may be some bad wiring on the blue channel, bad trace on the board the LEDs are soldered to, bad solder connection, bad LED, bad rheostat or something causing a heat/current related short on the blue channel. You might pull the board and look close at all the solder connections then get a battery with a couple leads and test the individual LEDs.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back