Are there common issues with online SPS buying?

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is about negative issues that can relatively often occur when ordering from any online shop. Understand some are better than others.
For the first time after many years of keeping SPS I decided to finally try it. There are only 3 online shops in my area as in a maximum of 12hrs in transit. So since they all boast the same quality and care, I just went with the seller that had pieces I wanted.
I ordered a total of 18 frags half first, then the other 9 two weeks later.
I cut all plugs off and dipped the 1" pieces. The first 9 are doing fine. Yesterday the second batch arrived , one milli was RTNing and basically was DOA. I cut it, but it's basically done for.
One piece wysiwyg was shown top down online but 50% of the underside had been STNinig at the shop. So I did surgery to salvage the top, seems probably ok. The vendor did include 2 extra "gift " acros I guess he figured 2 might not make it. How does this compare to overall online experiences? I'm not quite disappointed, yet I'm not super happy either. I guess that feeling is mostly from the corals not being nearly as vibrant as the pics plus the work I had to do to try and save a couple upon arrival.

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact by your feedback I'd like to see if my vender fits in "average" "below" or "above". I can say I did not see anything come off the frags during the dips with turkey basting.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is about negative issues that can relatively often occur when ordering from any online shop. Understand some are better than others.
For the first time after many years of keeping SPS I decided to finally try it. There are only 3 online shops in my area as in a maximum of 12hrs in transit. So since they all boast the same quality and care, I just went with the seller that had pieces I wanted.
I ordered a total of 18 frags half first, then the other 9 two weeks later.
I cut all plugs off and dipped the 1" pieces. The first 9 are doing fine. Yesterday the second batch arrived , one milli was RTNing and basically was DOA. I cut it, but it's basically done for.
One piece wysiwyg was shown top down online but 50% of the underside had been STNinig at the shop. So I did surgery to salvage the top, seems probably ok. The vendor did include 2 extra "gift " acros I guess he figured 2 might not make it. How does this compare to overall online experiences? I'm not quite disappointed, yet I'm not super happy either. I guess that feeling is mostly from the corals not being nearly as vibrant as the pics plus the work I had to do to try and save a couple upon arrival.
Shipping coral isnt the easiest thing. Temperature can play a big part in transit. Some venders can pack corals extremely well some dont. Also venders will often give you freebies or gift acros with larger purchases not because they may think one will die. If a coral started to stn before shipping it should have never been shipped to begin with. Doa pictures should of been taken in the shipping bags to help you get credit to your account or sent another sps frag.

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the pic thing was in the policy comments. The way I saw that frag was. It wasn't very expensive, my tank is now fully stocked and I have 2 "free" frags. So with that in mind I prefer to let one slide and avoid a hassle. Nevertheless, I am curious if I was dealing with a "good" shop or not. I agree that the couple of lousy frags should not have been sent out.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered multiple times from WWC. Have not lost a single piece, was professionally packaged with 2 sign offs and some free coral food each time. Every item was as pictured.

Then there is ordering from Battlecorals. Chunky frags, expert packaging, a bit of swag, polyps out in the bag, high probability of not just a freebie but an epic freebie, personal communication, etc.

ezZ33yk.jpg

KuW5YK8.jpg

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok minus the stickers and brush my orders looked the same. Except the two crappy frags.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every vendor is different. I myself have ordered from no less than 10 when I was not running a coral business. I learned a lot about them. Some I'd order from again and others I'd never order again.

As for me I package the heck out of everything. And even if it doesn't survive I'll replace or refund it, even if it's been a week or two. I've never understood a DOA policy that requires a pic of the coral in the original bag still. Sometimes you can't even tell the coral has an issue while it's still in the bag!

And freebies are pretty common. I do them too. Not because I think something will die but because I want you to have a little something I chose for you at no charge.

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from Battlecorals too. Everything was packed perfect & communication is excellent. Corals were in fantastic shape as well.

I have one frag that lost color & was offered a replacement. It has colored up quite a bit this week so as long as it keeps doing well I won't take the replacement. I never asked for it but it was immediately offered with everything else doing well. I will definitely order again from Adam.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real test would be to call the vendor and let them know and see how they react. I think it is more important to know how a vendor handles problems when they arise (because they will eventually).

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are taking a calculated risk anytime you buy SPS online.So many factors come into play.Even with the most considerate packaging you are going to just lose one once in awhile.In addition to what has already been mentioned I would say that fresh cuts are problematic.I feel that a healed frag is more likely to survive and flourish after the stress of being shipped.I get a tad irritated when I receive a tiny piece that has fallen off it's plug in transit.I personally would rather pay for a larger portion without it being slapped onto a plug.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've ordered a few times from some dudes in NY and have experience just as kireek said, tiny frags falling off their plug from being freshly glued the day before shippping. needless to say i stopped ordering from them as the survival rate was about 60% from each order. i also stopped ordering during the weather extremes as Texas likes to troll me every time i order online. i will however be ordering from Adam as i've read only positive and never a bad review of his setup.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back