Are there rules or laws about posting wholesale prices?

rynek23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are fewer and fewer stores because this hobby is hurting as a whole. You can talk to anyone weither its a huge online dealer or a mom and pop shop everyone is down from last year. So everyone is trying to stay in bussiness weither its wholesalers going direct or shops marking stuff up more. I've been running my shop for 5 years and this time last year was way better than now. Tulsa Oklahoma has lost 4 shops in a year period. On a total sidenote being a store owner I'm pumped that noone has based local stores in this thread it makes me happy that finally there is a site where people in the hobby can talk about things in a civil way. ha long live reef2reef!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R rynek23!

BayCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome rynek23. This is a civil group here.:smile:

There is no law against it, just unethical. I don't see a problem if they tell a few of there friends, but to post it out would hurt alot of the lfs. Some clients don't consider the rent, elec, water, misc overhead of lfs when they make purchases.

When times are tough, ethics seem to become more and more of an issue. I went to a wholesaler the other day, hundreds of frag plugs all laid out. A whole section to color up corals. What is a wholesaler doing fraging and saving cherry picks if they only sale wholesale?:confuse:

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a diver in Hawaii selling flame wrasse harems to local clubs about a year ago. Far below retail but I would guess just a bit more than wholesale.

This guy is well known in Hawaii and not for good reasons... When you are black listed in this state, desperation will result in what you talk about.

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ask me, there should be laws and regulations in place for this type of thing that holds wholesalers liable for these actions in the form of heavy fines and even license suspention or revocation in cases of multiple offenses. I owned a liquor store a few years back and you sure won't see wholesalers selling retail or they won't be selling at all (obviously) bad example but thats how it should be in any industry. Unfortunately this part of this industry is obviously not very well regulated, as if the lfs don't have it bad enough competing with all the hobbyist selling and trading they cant even trust the wholesalers they buy from to do the right thing. The economy is bad yes, that doesn't make it o.k.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is well known in Hawaii and not for good reasons... When you are black listed in this state, desperation will result in what you talk about.

I hope your talking about the diver and not me? I was just stating an instance I knew about. I first thought it was an isolated incident till I heard other groups talking about it.

I have always felt that if you sell wholesale you should encourage people to buy from the stores that sell for you. If you sell both retail and wholesale you should not undercut the vendors you sell to. And you should never be cheaper than your MAP price.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your talking about the diver and not me? I was just stating an instance I knew about. I first thought it was an isolated incident till I heard other groups talking about it.

He's talking about the diver and Im 99% sure I know who he's referring to....

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was talking about the diver... I re-read what i posted and i wasn't clear. Sorry about that.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need some of the flame wrasse. Anyone have a contact for that diver? LOL! :D

No I know who your talking about too. :)

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some of the flame wrasse. Anyone have a contact for that diver? LOL! :D

No I know who your talking about too. :)

LOL I've personally seen him walk into an LFS with a 5 gallon bucket filled with 20+ flame wrasse. These fish had so much ammonia burn it wasn't funny. Poor fish... This was my only personal experiance with him. Though i've heard horror stories from reputable people on island.

Last edited:

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ask me, there should be laws and regulations in place for this type of thing that holds wholesalers liable for these actions in the form of heavy fines and even license suspention or revocation in cases of multiple offenses. I owned a liquor store a few years back and you sure won't see wholesalers selling retail or they won't be selling at all (obviously) bad example but thats how it should be in any industry. Unfortunately this part of this industry is obviously not very well regulated, as if the lfs don't have it bad enough competing with all the hobbyist selling and trading they cant even trust the wholesalers they buy from to do the right thing. The economy is bad yes, that doesn't make it o.k.

I agree....wholesalers should wholesale and retailers should retail. Sounds simple. But when you have a small company that makes say 20 products. One or two stores pick up the full line but sell locally to one area. 60 or 70 stores pick up one or two products in the line. Yet the demand is there for your products with no place for people to buy. That said wholesaler then has no choice but to sell retail or discontinue the product. As long as that wholesaler is selling at a retail price that is the same as his retail customers I have less problems with it. I use to feel otherwise but after three years of wholesale only I think I may have to start selling some retail just to offer my product to areas that have no other place to purchase.

Last edited:

BayCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not like wholesalers that sell to LFS or online vendors and then turn around and sell to the public. That is not right and there is no way that a LFS and online vendor can compete with their wholesaler.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back