Are these both rainbow incinerators?

BruceLeyrer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two different zoas to me. But similar... I can't seem to find the darker one anywhere. Any ideas?
20230402_221707.jpg
20230327_182204.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you look at pictures of them - they (assuming all of the pictures on various sites are actual rainbow incinerators) - can look quite different in different lighting and different tanks. Based on your pictures - without some kind of genetic analysis which of course would be silly to do - I don't think you can say. However, If you called them both rainbow incinerators - likewise - I don't think anyone could prove you wrong.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Rainbow incinerators will morph slightly and present a little different based on lighting and water chemistry. Experience, and the pragmatist in me, leads me to conclude they’re both rainbow incinerators.

OP
OP
BruceLeyrer

BruceLeyrer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen what light can do to zoas, so I believe the color change 100%. Seductions for example. I bought some really low white seductions, agaves, etc. Put em' under high par and now just the centers are red. Almost all white/grey/blue. Whatever color ya want to call it. I have both of the pictures zoas under the same light, so time will tell if it changes up color.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
For reference here’s three different frags in my system. One is a mature fully colored polyp, second a freebie that was included in a recent order and finally a small/juvenile polyp same lineage as the first.
CAA351C9-AFC8-4A8B-9DB3-381D26F484A7.jpeg
471DED1A-D2A4-4900-A7BA-CDCB8E0BB8E9.jpeg
96C63FD7-294C-4118-8E7C-6A939F53DF88.jpeg

OP
OP
BruceLeyrer

BruceLeyrer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's interesting. So, your larger one is less orange than the smaller bright ones? My system, would follow that logic. My small polyps are bright, and my large polyp is less so. I'm currently blasting with light near the top of the tank, to see if it colors back up like the smaller versions.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
For context all of these are in about 120 par which I’ve found to be the sweet spot for most zoas.

The larger less colorful one is what I’d expect them to look like. As with hallucinations I believe incinerators are one of those where the color and pattern changes as the polyps mature (baby hallucinations have a green skirt and solid red face when babies).

As with utter chaos I’m certain there’s more than a few varieties of rainbow incinerators (all fundamentally the same) circulating with some presenting nicer than others.

That's interesting. So, your larger one is less orange than the smaller bright ones? My system, would follow that logic. My small polyps are bright, and my large polyp is less so. I'm currently blasting with light near the top of the tank, to see if it colors back up like the smaller versions.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back