Are these Dino's or Diatoms?

  • Thread starter Thread starter magicjosh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

magicjosh

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2024
Messages
24
Reaction score
6
Location
canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently got a couple of trochus snails and a strawberry conch to deal with some brown algae. However 48 hours after adding the trochus snails, 3/4 died and the last living one is not doing well at all. The conch is doing fine and has been slowly eating away at all the brown algae.

I asked around about this and was suggested the brown algae might actually be Dinos and not Diatoms as I originally thought, and that Dinos are toxic and will kill snails. I wasn't sure about this because the conch I bought has been eating this brown algae all day and seems to be thriving in the tank.

I am using RODI water with 34 PPT salinity. I have test kits for ammonia, nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity and all of them were within normal ranges except for nitrate which is 0 (which is probably due to and causing all my algae).

I have other inverts in the tank (a nasarrius snail and a pistol shrimp) and all of them have been fine as well.

When I blow the algae with a turkey baster, it forms a dust and doesn't get stringy. It also persists throughout the night.

Is there anything else I am missing here besides actually buying a microscope to examine them? I can't figure out why all my trochus snails died so fast and suddenly, but all my other inverts are doing great...
1719358825957.png
1719358835895.png
1719358843688.png

de
 
the answer isn't obvious, but some snails may be more selective than others and trochus graze on rocks which the strombus will be in sand. There may be different nuisance algae on the two surfaces.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new