OP
John Hernandez

John Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your videos in the last post, we can see why the UV has "done nothing". What you are now posting is Large Cell Amphidinium, the kind that does not go into the water no matter how much encouragement you give it. They go into the sand instead.
In reality your UV/blackout did do something - it knocked out your earlier species, and left only the population that is not susceptible. I would continue running UV since you almost certainly still have cells of other kinds in your tank, but your main issue is now large cell amphidinium.
MB7 is not a terrible idea. Some have had success with it, and it doesn't seem harmful. This kind is not typically toxic. Hopefully The UV knocking out the water-going types will keep the dinos off the surviving corals.
Here's a thread on Amphidinium specifically.
I am dosing Silicate as suggested. Phosphates are currently elevated so I am backing off on this for a bit. UV is running and I am dosing Microbacter7 each morning. We had Mike Paletta at our FMAS group meeting last night and he suggested Hydrogen Peroxide on the hot spots on the sand bed. Using a turkey baster. What are your thoughts on this and do you think it will even make a difference or just keep pushing forward as I currently am. On a positive note I did notice some improvement last night, I think. There seemed to be less coverage on the sand.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did dino-X affect algae or other organisms? curious what you saw with this product.
Nope! I actually saw more pods than ever after I used it. I wonder if it’s actually some sort of phyto food designed to fuel microorganisms which eat dinos (such as pods)

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do that. It just seems like a band aid such as siphoning them with a filter sock
I am dosing Silicate as suggested. Phosphates are currently elevated so I am backing off on this for a bit. UV is running and I am dosing Microbacter7 each morning. We had Mike Paletta at our FMAS group meeting last night and he suggested Hydrogen Peroxide on the hot spots on the sand bed. Using a turkey baster. What are your thoughts on this and do you think it will even make a difference or just keep pushing forward as I currently am. On a positive note I did notice some improvement last night, I think. There seemed to be less coverage on the sand.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! I actually saw more pods than ever after I used it.
Your report is pretty atypical for this product. Thanks!
I wouldn’t do that. It just seems like a band aid such as siphoning them with a filter sock
Filter sock at least exports cells and their nutrients, peroxide will not even do that.
Peroxide is capable of killing some nuisance organisms, but it's very unpredictable and not very specific.

OP
OP
John Hernandez

John Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha I just wanted to thank you for the time you took to help me out. My tank is finally starting to look like its old self again. I still have a small amount of dinos that show up on the sandbed during the day, but the percentage is way, way less. My zoas are starting to open up again (some have been barely open for months). Even the few acros I have left, although showing quite a bit of tissue necrosis, actually have polyp extenstion. I know I am not out of the woods as of yet but I also know that I am well on my way. I wish you were local to me I would bring you some frags as a thank you. :)
I will try to post some updated pics tomorrow to show the progress.

Back