Are these Leptoseris sweepers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blukraken
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Blukraken

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2022
Messages
52
Reaction score
40
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm recently new to reefing and know some corals have sweepers, but I'm not so sure about leptoseris coral. When I spot fed my new lepto, one of what I think are sweepers ended up grabbing a piece of mysis and pulling it under the coral. I was curious what these were and their purpose. I thought the green dots on the surface of the lepto were the mouths of the coral. I've also read that leptos are photosynthetic for the most part and won't eat such big pieces.
Leptoseris Coral.jpg
 
They don’t have any sweepers to my knowledge.

that looks like it’s coming from under the coral, so I’d say some type of worm hitchhiker living underneath
 
Any idea if these are bad? I did dip the coral beforehand, but I guess if they were underneath then it'd be hard to dislodge them.
 
They don’t have any sweepers to my knowledge.

that looks like it’s coming from under the coral, so I’d say some type of worm hitchhiker living underneath
mesentrial filaments and can be removed with tweezers or legs of star
 
No those are not sweepers. If you look closely you'll see tentacles coming from the bottom of your frag. They are micro brittle stars ...good cuc. I have them all over my live rock.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new