Are these prices a joke?!?!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why you all shopping at BRS if price is a thing? They are nearly never the cheapest. Look around. You pay for all of those infomercials, points, giveaways, etc.

Check the sellers on Amazon and stuff. If they are in the US, then the product is probably fine... many are stores looking to offload product. Amazon will always accept a return for knock off stuff. SWA, Champion and many others offer stuff cheaper than BRS. If you want things like RO parts and supplies, you can buy many from the people who actually make them for a substantial discount... same with chemicals and media and stuff.

On things like this, why not check eBay or the local marketplace for use stuff. It isn't like the go bad. I have gotten Tunze Care on ebay for $20-30 and they work perfectly and make most other magnets look like childs toys.
While I agree premium aquatics is at the top of my list of preferred vendors. Privately owned by a fellow hobbyist much like BRS used to be and they are small enough that they aren't charging sales tax yet which can be a huge saving on big ticket items. Stock is very similar to BRS.

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you making it sound like BRS is up charging you when they don't set the price. The manufacturer sets the price. You barking up the wrong tree.
I would disagree with you completely on this. Brs 100% up charges as any company does that’s how they make money. They don’t buy at that price and sell at that price. BRs will sell to certain businesses that meet their criteria at wholesale prices which in turn means they buy at less than wholesale. We as consumers buy from BRs as a retail store so the markup is at least 50%.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree with you completely on this. Brs 100% up charges as any company does that’s how they make money. They don’t buy at that price and sell at that price. BRs will sell to certain businesses that meet their criteria at wholesale prices which in turn means they buy at less than wholesale. We as consumers buy from BRs as a retail store so the markup is at least 50%.
You don't understand MAP pricing. A lot of manufacturers set MAP pricing and all retailers must sell at that price to retail consumers. This is why during Black Friday sales, most of the retailers offer the same discount for popular products. The main difference between buying from BRS vs SWA vs Premium Aquatics is shipping time, reward points, and taxes. BRS runs crazy giveaways so that's why they are more popular. Obviously for smaller items or items without MAP pricing, you will find a few percentage differences.

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't understand MAP pricing. A lot of manufacturers set MAP pricing and all retailers must sell at that price to retail consumers. This is why during Black Friday sales, most of the retailers offer the same discount for popular products. The main difference between buying from BRS vs SWA vs Premium Aquatics is shipping time, reward points, and taxes. BRS runs crazy giveaways so that's why they are more popular. Obviously for smaller items or items without MAP pricing, you will find a few percentage differences.
Map pricing can be set by the manufacturer or a wholesaler for the retail store. BRs sells at wholesale and is also a retail store which in turn means they can set their own prices. There is still a huge markup from what they buy it at and what they sell it at. BRs does do huge giveaways you are correct but the price of those giveaways are made up on the back end on other products sold. Hence the mark up…products sold at the markup pay for those giveaways. It’s business and if no one marks anything up no one makes money and no one is in business.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Map pricing can be set by the manufacturer or a wholesaler for the retail store. BRs sells at wholesale and is also a retail store which in turn means they can set their own prices. There is still a huge markup from what they buy it at and what they sell it at. BRs does do huge giveaways you are correct but the price of those giveaways are made up on the back end on other products sold. Hence the mark up…products sold at the markup pay for those giveaways. It’s business and if no one marks anything up no one makes money and no one is in business.
What does wholesale have to do with this discussion? Most of us are just retail consumers. It doesn't matter to me what BRS sells to business at wholesale and it's not like they are the only store that does it...

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does wholesale have to do with this discussion? Most of us are just retail consumers. It doesn't matter to me what BRS sells to business at wholesale and it's not like they are the only store that does it...
Because you are talking about map pricing…and map prices aren’t just set my the manufacturer. I understand that they aren’t the only store that does it. All I’m saying is BRs definitely marks their products up by at least 50% like any other company. You told the guy that he is making it sound like BRs is up charging and they are…they could have a “map price” for a mag float at $50 but choose to sell it at $150 that my friend is an up charge. Which every company in business does and that’s how they stay in business. Agree to disagree if you will but anyway I hope you are having good luck reefing and I wish you all the best in your journey.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, they've never been that expensive! I paid around $30-$40 for mine.
Oh yes they are...

Screenshot_20231203-103344.png

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most brands in the aquarium industry are map brands. They set a price and manufacturers live by it. Or they pull product.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes they are...

Screenshot_20231203-103344.png
This is absolutely crazy for a glass scraper. I hope people aren't falling for this.
I have one and it really isn't all that they make them out to be. It works the same as a really cheap one I had previously.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Because you are talking about map pricing…and map prices aren’t just set my the manufacturer. I understand that they aren’t the only store that does it. All I’m saying is BRs definitely marks their products up by at least 50% like any other company. You told the guy that he is making it sound like BRs is up charging and they are…they could have a “map price” for a mag float at $50 but choose to sell it at $150 that my friend is an up charge. Which every company in business does and that’s how they stay in business. Agree to disagree if you will but anyway I hope you are having good luck reefing and I wish you all the best in your journey.

You clearly don't understand MAP and how it works. BRS can NOT set MAP on any products unless it is the BRS brand. Ecotech sets MAP on their items. Neptune sets MAP. Red Sea sets MAP. NYOS sets MAP. And so on and so on. Bulk Reef Supply does not set MAP for any of these products.

For example, Ecotech says, "MAP is $500 for pump A." BRS or ANY other retailer MUST advertise at that price as part of the agreement to sell the Ecotech pump. If they are caught advertising for less, Ecotech pulls their account. It is that simple. Ecotech sets the price, not the retailer.

Where this starts to get shady is that many MAP companies in the hobby will also pull your account if they find you selling their parts for less than MAP. Remember that MAP is Minimum Advertised Price.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes it even more shady is that they only have to advertise for that price, not sell for it. If you can hustle or swindle a lower price, that is OK... as long as it was not advertised. A retailer can even charge more if they want.

It makes you love car dealers who are honest about being opaque, right?

it probably goes like this if a hobby company is mad at your prices:
Ask you to follow the deal
Ask again
Beg you to follow the deal
Beg again
Beg again
Maybe limit new releases by a few weeks
Maybe limit parts availability
Send a stern letter from a lawyer

This isn't like selling CocaCola or a popular beer where these companies can afford to cut off outlets for sale because they have so many others. The company still gets their price. This is likely what happens when your LFS who sells Neptune gives away free boxes of salt with a light purchase - not supposed to happen, but if they get caught, the rep gives a call, everybody has a chuckle and the warehouse sends the replacement lights for the shelf anyway.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What makes it even more shady is that they only have to advertise for that price, not sell for it. If you can hustle or swindle a lower price, that is OK... as long as it was not advertised. A retailer can even charge more if they want.

It makes you love car dealers who are honest about being opaque, right?

it probably goes like this if a hobby company is mad at your prices:
Ask you to follow the deal
Ask again
Beg you to follow the deal
Beg again
Beg again
Maybe limit new releases by a few weeks
Maybe limit parts availability
Send a stern letter from a lawyer

This isn't like selling CocaCola or a popular beer where these companies can afford to cut off outlets for sale because they have so many others. The company still gets their price. This is likely what happens when your LFS who sells Neptune gives away free boxes of salt with a light purchase - not supposed to happen, but if they get caught, the rep gives a call, everybody has a chuckle and the warehouse sends the replacement lights for the shelf anyway.

I used to have a local contact that would sell me MAP stuff for cheap if I bought livestock. It was a win win IMO

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you making it sound like BRS is up charging you when they don't set the price. The manufacturer sets the price. You barking up the wrong tree

You clearly don't understand MAP and how it works. BRS can NOT set MAP on any products unless it is the BRS brand. Ecotech sets MAP on their items. Neptune sets MAP. Red Sea sets MAP. NYOS sets MAP. And so on and so on. Bulk Reef Supply does not set MAP for any of these products.

For example, Ecotech says, "MAP is $500 for pump A." BRS or ANY other retailer MUST advertise at that price as part of the agreement to sell the Ecotech pump. If they are caught advertising for less, Ecotech pulls their account. It is that simple. Ecotech sets the price, not the retailer.

Where this starts to get shady is that many MAP companies in the hobby will also pull your account if they find you selling their parts for less than MAP. Remember that MAP is Minimum Advertised Price.
Except you are not telling the truth here. Who owns eco tech ? That would be brs. so horrible example to use

you really think eco tech would cut off brs? Come on now. Common sense

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to sell high end audio gear with map pricing. We couldn’t go down on the advertised price of the 80,000 dollar speakers,but we could give them a free turntable, pre amp. Amplifier along with their purchase. Most goods it’s at least 40 to 50 percent markup for the retailer on any map pricing scheme

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back