Are these toadstools goners?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some toadstools the other day, and the overnight shipping got delayed. Meaning it was in fact two days before I got them so when they arrived the water was 55 degrees. They looked pretty sad but I acclimated them and added them to my frag tank. It's been 24 hours now and they're still just kind of laying on their side. When I was spot feeding some other corals near this piece some of the polyps blew off. o_O

I contacted the store and the guy said as long as the shipping water wasn't brown that they'd be okay and that it could be a few weeks but they'll pop up and should recover. I've kept LPS and SPS but the only soft coral I ever had was some pulsing xenia. I don't know if he's right, or if he's just trying to wait me out of my charge back window. Can someone with experience please give me their feedback?

Toadstools-1.jpg

Toadstools-2.jpg

BrianNRoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some toadstools the other day, and the overnight shipping got delayed. Meaning it was in fact two days before I got them so when they arrived the water was 55 degrees. They looked pretty sad but I acclimated them and added them to my frag tank. It's been 24 hours now and they're still just kind of laying on their side. When I was spot feeding some other corals near this piece some of the polyps blew off. o_O

I contacted the store and the guy said as long as the shipping water wasn't brown that they'd be okay and that it could be a few weeks but they'll pop up and should recover. I've kept LPS and SPS but the only soft coral I ever had was some pulsing xenia. I don't know if he's right, or if he's just trying to wait me out of my charge back window. Can someone with experience please give me their feedback?

Toadstools-1.jpg

Toadstools-2.jpg
They honestly don’t look terrible for being in 55 degree water. The polyps are still there. I would say it’s alive. Just super stressed

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They honestly don’t look terrible for being in 55 degree water. The polyps are still there. I would say it’s alive. Just super stressed

This, the base areas look fine, I have a rescue at the moment and it is still sulking after two weeks. ;)
Keep us updated.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that’s good to hear. I’m dosing a little aminos to help, is there anything else I can do? Or just be patient ;)

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that’s good to hear. I’m dosing a little aminos to help, is there anything else I can do? Or just be patient ;)
They will be fine, I've some that have gone to hell and back. They will probably shed, normal, run carbon, otherwise they will grow.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no they died :(

They never regained their shape so Monday I went to try and give them a nudge, see if I could prop them up. As soon as I touched the cap with feeding wand the cap popped off, same with another one of them. The stems disintegrated and mucked up my frag tank.

I've removed them now. I'm pretty bummed, they look SO nice in the eBay picture. I'll probably try again but buy something local.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. Sorry. I have had great luck with big internet sellers like WWC and Cherry Corals, but the one time I bought from Etsy my coral was sent within Florida and they put in 3 heat packs. IN FLORIDA!! The water was actually warm when it got here. It was just bits of coral floating around in cloudy water.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah people always want to take a swipe at the big guys for what they see as overcharging or cornering the market. But there’s a reason they got got big, they consistently deliver quality and when they don’t they make it right.

Back