Are UV sterilizers safe?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that some of the UV lights used are invisible to our eyes, but the radiation can pass through cheaper plastics.

Seems like rolling the dice with something you’re looking at multiple times a day?

Last edited:

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard the some of the UV lights used are invisible to our eyes, but the radiation can pass through cheaper plastics.

Seems like rolling the dice with something you’re looking at multiple times a day?
I have a cheap $50 one and it’s been fine.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper U.V. sterilization is behind protective plastic and glass sleeves so no exposure to radiation.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchase a TMC, Pentair Aquatics, Lifeguard or similar unit. American Aquarium in OR sells TMC on line. They also have information on how to match to pump rates for parasite control. Avoid the Chinese knock offs on the Web if you want a quality product.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own two 5 watt Coralife UV for each of my 12 gallon systems. The lights are inside the back of the AIO and their is no quartz sleeves on them, that I saw. They seem built very cheap but Coralife would be looking into getting a huge lawsuit if anyone came done with what you are describing.

There has to be some R&D before they entered the USA market. JM2cents

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own two 5 watt Coralife UV for each of my 12 gallon systems. The lights are inside the back of the AIO and their is no quartz sleeves on them, that I saw. They seem built very cheap but Coralife would be looking into getting a huge lawsuit if anyone came done with what you are describing.

There has to be some R&D before they entered the USA market. JM2cents
The levels of U.V. are very low in such a small unit. Also, Coralife sells many inexpensive items that meet some customers needs but are cheap enough that no one is going to take them to court. You get what you pay for if you know what I mean. For professional results use professional equipment. Direct contact with the water without a specific sleeve design is not effective in disease control. The radiation needs specific dwell time and water flow rates to make the U.V. reduce algae or water borne organisms.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The design is important, as the water does need a certain dwell time to achieve any sort of effectiveness. However, equating higher price with higher quality without looking specifically at actual data is one of the dumbest fallacies I’ve seen parroted over and over again on this forum (this applies to more equipment than just UV sterilizers).

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The design is important, as the water does need a certain dwell time to achieve any sort of effectiveness. However, equating higher price with higher quality without looking specifically at actual data is one of the dumbest fallacies I’ve seen parroted over and over again on this forum (this applies to more equipment than just UV sterilizers).
Quality has a price as a result of research, engineering, and proper materials usage. Talk about fallacies....nice.

View Badges
Do you own a cell phone? Use WiFi? Live in a city? Drive an electric vehicle? Are you going to be cuddling the equipment, or will it be hurried in a sump, under a cabinet, or the back of an aio?

sometimes two things can be true. Something can be harmful to you, and be so minimal it doesn’t matter.

the voice coil driving the speakers in your headphones are probably putting out more radiation.

If the construction is cheap and the radiation is invisible, you wouldn’t know until the damage is done from countless repeated exposures..

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality has a price as a result of research, engineering, and proper materials usage. Talk about fallacies....nice.
All true. It’s also true that people who buy Volkswagen because of the superior German engineering are suckers setting themselves up for a vehicle that costs twice as much to maintain as a Honda.

I never said all expensive reef equipment is a waste of money, I said that just because something is expensive and manufactured by a big name company doesn’t mean it’s any better than a cheaper alternative. In the same vein, some cheaper alternatives are crap. Let’s look at results and data instead of the name on the front or the price tag.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the construction is cheap and the radiation is invisible, you wouldn’t know until the damage is done from countless repeated exposures...
Light waves don't pass through solids in meaningful wavelengths to worry about in the wattages we deal with.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP wrote,

"I’ve heard that some of the UV lights used are invisible to our eyes, but the radiation can pass through cheaper plastics.

Seems like rolling the dice with something you’re looking at multiple times a day?"

I am responding to that with, I own two Coralife 5 watt UV units they are the only ones that will fit into the back of my AIO 12 gallon system. Do they work? Well, I am using the recommended flow rate and keeping them on 24/7 hours a day.

Do they look cheap with plastic? Yes, in comparison to the larger units that I have used for my larger systems. Will radiation hit me or expose me to it?

It would have to pass through the cheap plastic, then pass 1/4 inch black cast acrylic that covers it on the sides. I am so far pleased with it's performance since setting up two 12 gallons systems in January 28, 2021.

I have a quick video to show you how clear my water is from the usage of the UV lights plus other variables as well, good husbandry to the tank.

View Badges
The OP wrote,

"I’ve heard that some of the UV lights used are invisible to our eyes, but the radiation can pass through cheaper plastics.

Seems like rolling the dice with something you’re looking at multiple times a day?"

I am responding to that with, I own two Coralife 5 watt UV units they are the only ones that will fit into the back of my AIO 12 gallon system. Do they work? Well, I am using the recommended flow rate and keeping them on 24/7 hours a day.

Do they look cheap with plastic? Yes, in comparison to the larger units that I have used for my larger systems. Will radiation hit me or expose me to it?

It would have to pass through the cheap plastic, then pass 1/4 inch black cast acrylic that covers it on the sides. I am so far pleased with it's performance since setting up two 12 gallons systems in January 28, 2021.

I have a quick video to show you how clear my water is from the usage of the UV lights plus other variables as well, good husbandry to the tank.
I use the same BS CL UV in my biocube.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same BS CL UV in my biocube.
My only argument against the light is that it is very cheaply built, I had to replace the first UV on my unit prematurely, as I tried placing it on a schedule timer for night use only. Turning it off and on was the destruction of the bulb in 3 weeks of use. Since then, I only turn them off if use medication for the reef.

I believe they have 6 months life each before needing replacement.

My two aquariums are only 12 gallons each volume is about 10 gallons each. So far good water quality blue and super clear but I have also a skimmer and good media basket for poly fiber pads.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd be more worried about these type of UV lights in the trade...I think @Jay Hemdal was speaking about them the other day...
94373146-4ae8-4819-9075-1b9e10c2cabd.1a6be9ccac1750306cbdba94d5ebc54b.jpeg
68513b1d-55e6-4a8c-b457-e23c07bee7ea.bd89d142652dcc53dfd57c1a3f42564d.jpeg
ac8dba4a-f838-4967-b4aa-ae64e99df4c3.ebd46641d8035580b09b11a42d2d7fe1.jpeg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that some of the UV lights used are invisible to our eyes, but the radiation can pass through cheaper plastics.

This seems like one of the urban legends I came across often.
these include flat earth, popcorn popped by 3 mobile phones and 5G masts killing birds.
sorry but I can’t help jus laugh.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back