Are VorTechs Worth The Cost?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shep
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
6,864
Reaction score
6,574
Location
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after my frag tank got wiped out and took all my corals with it, I thought I was out of the hobby but I guess I am not sure that I am ready to give it up yet. So I was thinking of starting a shallow reef tank and was starting to piece together an equipment list. I normally I use the 2 Hydor nano powerheads with their smart wave controller but I was wondering if the VorTech might be a better choice, the tank is 36x16x8. I like the features that MP10 has but I just don't know if its worth the extra $220 compared to the Hydor nanos. Opinions?
 
USED Vortechs are definitely worth the cost IMO. I like have the pump outside the tank and I like the various modes of operation. I don't have any experience with the Quiet Drives or the Gyres.
 
I have an MP40 that has been in my tank for 10 years. LOVE IT. Never had an issue.

6 months ago I put a maxspect Gyre on other side. I cant put a Vortech cause motor end would sit in middle of my halway from living room to family room. (before that i had, tunze, koralia, jeabo's, they all stunk IMHO). So far maxspect has been doing a good job but INHO inferior to Vortech.
 
So you think the MP10 would be worth getting?
 
I'd go with the Jebao rw15.. ive had mine for a couple months and love it! I've had several mp40s in the past and they're not worth the price when you can get an rw15 for $80! Yea it won't last as long as a Vortech... but for 1/4 the price i'll buy one every two years if i have to... ive got it dialed in so it makes a 1/2"-3/4" wave and my fish have never been happier
 
Back in the day I always thought people who spent that much on a powerhead were blithering idiots. At the time I had the old-school Koralia's ......K-4's to be exact. The only issue with these is that they might re-start in reverse. Otherwise they were workhorses.....I was happy with them. When the new Koralia's came out, I purchased four of these....I think 1400's....and slowly watched each one die. In my mind, major snafu for Koralia....turned me off.....very poor design.

So today I now have three MP40's and two MP10's. I think that makes me a major blithering idiot.....just don't tell my wife.....not about I'm an idiot, but about owning five vortechs....she already knows I'm an idiot.
 
Back in the day I always thought people who spent that much on a powerhead were blithering idiots. At the time I had the old-school Koralia's ......K-4's to be exact. The only issue with these is that they might re-start in reverse. Otherwise they were workhorses.....I was happy with them. When the new Koralia's came out, I purchased four of these....I think 1400's....and slowly watched each one die. In my mind, major snafu for Koralia....turned me off.....very poor design.

So today I now have three MP40's and two MP10's. I think that makes me a major blithering idiot.....just don't tell my wife.....not about I'm an idiot, but about owning five vortechs....she already knows I'm an idiot.


I think we all have to be blithering idiots to be in this hobby in the first place. :)
 
I have had some of my Koralias for a few years and they still work as long as you clean them every now and then. I just keep almost getting the VorTech...but dang that price
 
So I have heard a lot about the Jebao RW Series powerheads, what is your opinions on them?
 
I have 2 mp40s and 4 jebao rw-8 and for the price the rw -8 hold their weight

I will be getting another jebao (probably rw-15) as I've been really satisfied with the brand along with my wallet.
 
I've had koralias and various other power heads. None compare to my mp10...... mind you I bought 2 used mp10 from 2 different people and have had them for almost a year now. With quiet drive out now prices on used ones have gone even lower in my opinion I got one of mine for 160.00 and the other for 60.00 with partial coral trade. Play the market right and find a good deal and offer trades to bring down the price ;) good luck in your decision.
 
I hope your acans are fine!

I use 4 jebaos on two different tanks for over 2 years, never had a problem. Never had a vortech to compare.

I know there's a huge debate about if your going to raise animals to use the best stuff, but let's face it, I can't afford 5+ x the cost per unit for say 25% better.
 
save the money, get a gyre you wont regret it
Tank is much too small for a gyre or i would have gotten one already. Its only 20g and its a shallow tank, gyre would turn it into a sandstorm

I hope your acans are fine!

I use 4 jebaos on two different tanks for over 2 years, never had a problem. Never had a vortech to compare.

I know there's a huge debate about if your going to raise animals to use the best stuff, but let's face it, I can't afford 5+ x the cost per unit for say 25% better.
They sadly all but one of my 26 died :'(
Thats kind of what has been holding me back, I love all the features of vortechs....but man that price is tough to get past lol
 
Buy a used vortech....its totally worth it! I used to think that vortechs were for snobs, and rich people.........well I may be a snob, but I'm still not rich! Buy the vortech, and never look back!
 
I apologize for not reading through the entire thread, but if you can achieve the same results for half the price than I guess a Vortech wouldn't be worth the money IMO. Some of these other pumps I have would have to break down & be replaced twice before I'm even near that plateau. No worries though. Some of us just have deeper pockets than others. GL.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new