Are you properly calibrating your refractometer?

shiftline

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
462
Reaction score
397
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you properly calibrating your refractometer?
Lot of people just use RO/DI water which will read 0..however your not going to get the the most accurate results.

the next batch of people will use proper 35ppt/1.026 calibration solution which gets you closer.. but ar you taking into account the temperature compensation?

 
I started with a handheld atc refractometer, then I found one of these used: http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/m...MIjembydbK1QIVBbjACh1BjQGoEAAYBCAAEgJ5ofD_BwE
I zero it with distilled h20 (per Milwaukee, you calibrate it with distilled h20), and the first couple of times I checked the results with the handheld. Both times the readings were identical. Now I just use the Milwaukee and my hand held stays in a drawer as a back up. I found it used on line, and at a great price so I couldn't pass it up. It's sooooooo easy to use. For those with not so great vision these have a distinct advantage over the handheld refractometers.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new